• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Connecting to the Internet with BT Home Hub2

Fairynuff31

Corporal
Evening All,

I am trying to get an XP PC connected to the Internet via a BT Home Hub 2 and have a snag......

The PC connects to the HH2, but cannot seem to get to the outside world. My Vista laptop, as I am writing this message, clearly connects without a problem.

Any clues chaps?

Rgds
Fairynuff31

M

monobrow

off the top of my head, I'd say it's guessed and f*cked up the default gateway (i.e. how to reach the t'interwebs)

First you need to find some info off your Vista laptop...

Hold shift and right click anywhere on the desktop. Select open a command winow here and you'll see a black window. Type in ipconfig and press return. The info you are interested in is the IPv4 stuff. So note down...

IP Address : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (example 192.168.1.2)
Subnet Mask : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (usually 255.255.255.0)
Default gateway : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (example 192.168.1.1)

The IP address is your laptop, and the gateway is your homehub.

On the wireless icon in the bottom right, right click it and select "Open network connections". Right click your wireless and select properties. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click properties just below it. Based on the example values above, type the following in.

Tell it to use the following address...

IP Address : 192.168.1.3 (Vista Laptop +1 on the last digit)
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway : 192.168.1.1

DNS Server : 192.168.1.1

Click OK then try again.

Take your homehub and throw it the bin! Then go buy a decent router.

Alternatively, try the basics first, reboot the router., then pc etc.

You should have the homehub configured up for DHCP so you don't need to set up ip addresses.

No connect

No connect

Had an issue that sounds similar, could connect but not transmit or receive data. Disabled auto channel on the HH and tried different channels until I got one that worked. It's been fine since.

Fairynuff31

Corporal
I a laptop encription was set to noticed that my Vista laptop encription was set to AES, while the XP PC was set to TKIP.

Made the change to AES and disable Auto channel on the HH and all is good......

Cheers chaps :PDT_Xtremez_14:

timaloy

Corporal
I am a complete computer nugget, i went to control panel and set up a new wireless network for a new laptop, when i set this up i connected to the wireless router and then put in the wireless key number(on the panel on the back of the homehub, then it worked don't know if this is any good to you

Back