• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cpl - Sgt ATM

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
There's probably an old thread somewhere but I can't find it.

Prediction for the year 32, I'm hearing rumours that quota has been doubled. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Webbo

Sergeant
32 with 89 A Grades. A lot of disgruntled lads around who just missed out last time to be told B Grades this time, that's the rumours around The East. Some good lads missing out again I'm led to believe, but I suppose that's the lottery of the system.

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
The whole A grade B grade system grinds my gears. With an ever decreasing RAF why let peoples careers depend on the filtering of one SNCO. I think all pers with seniority should go before the board.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
There will always be disgruntled folks who miss out due to a subjective reporting system that relies on the 'man with the pen' being up to it and truthfully penning the report. IMO, what is needed is a simple tick the box report that if you fulfil the criteria, you go before the board on an equal footing.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The whole A grade B grade system grinds my gears. With an ever decreasing RAF why let peoples careers depend on the filtering of one SNCO. I think all pers with seniority should go before the board.

That's a fair shout I think....

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
That's a fair shout I think....

So do I.

Our grading was done by the SATCO or SOpsO (Sdn Ldr) on a 1-9 scale in RAF Conduct, Trade Ability, Personal Qualities, and Leadership Ability (NCOs only). The SNCO i/c Discipline played no part. 1 or 2 was tagged "immediate discharge". 3 was tagged "improve or discharge". The points accrued were multiplied by a secret number x in different proportions and added to our total accrued. When you got to the top it was your turn as long as your current boss recommended you for promotion. There was no board. I could see a system in which the highest so many per vacancy appeared before a board as being fair.

N.B. Officers, WOs and aircrew weren't graded by points. Instead, the boss had to write a comprehensive report, as he did for airmen applying for a commission and/or aircrew training.

Back