• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Criminal record

• Thread starter Thread starter proggy
  • Start date Start date
P

proggy

Hi I'm currently studying a Foundation Degree in Civil Engineering and was looking into joining the RAF after my studies.

I was hoping someone could help, I've read that any criminal convictions received would have to be brought forward, I don't have any convictions but a simple caution which was spent immediately, I read i won't have to bring this up is that true?

Hope someone can help. :)

P

proggy

I phoned up the careers advice and the lad on the phone said it shouldn't be a problem at all with it just being a caution, he sounded sick of his life tbh haha.

With it just being a caution and not an actual conviction as stated on here, would it be wrong to just keep quiet about it?

I'll be wanting to join as an engineering officer with a bit of luck and hard work.

P

PotentialMental

Your better of just mentioning it to them when you go to the afco. They like you to be totally truthful with them from the start. I have 3 points on my licence its not a prob but its better they knew about it.

PM :PDT_Xtremez_19:

P

proggy

Your better of just mentioning it to them when you go to the afco. They like you to be totally truthful with them from the start. I have 3 points on my licence its not a prob but its better they knew about it.

PM :PDT_Xtremez_19:

Thanks for the reply, why on the site does it not mention cautions only convictions?

P

PotentialMental

:PDT_Xtremez_35: Hmmmm, well I guess you only have to mention convictions then. Im sure someone who ''actually'' knows will be along to give you the right advice soon.

PM

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Cautions are Convictions

Cautions are Convictions

A Caution is a finding of guilt, you would have admitted it and signed a piece of paper, and is therefore a conviction.

Luckily a caution has a rehab period of zero, so is spent once it's issued, however, it will go on record for a while and if the offence was something that the military don't accept, and if they find out about it, then you'll not be joining, there's a good chance they'll find out about it so don't lie.

Good Luck

DesertBaldy

Corporal
The record of your caution stays on the Police database, so if the Air Force do a Police check on you, it will show. Best to admit it from the start. For more info on cautions look here

I

ICATQ

You need to declare EVERYTHING as if you want to join the RAF all convictions, cautions etc have to declared, including spent convictions as we are exempt from the Rehab Act.

If it is not an issue it doesnt matter, failure to declare something which later shows up in the checks and your down as having a lack of integrity and honesty from the start.

:PDT_Xtremez_14:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Not true

Not true

You need to declare EVERYTHING as if you want to join the RAF all convictions, cautions etc have to declared, including spent convictions as we are exempt from the Rehab Act.

If it is not an issue it doesnt matter, failure to declare something which later shows up in the checks and your down as having a lack of integrity and honesty from the start.

:PDT_Xtremez_14:

Not true only certain trades need to declare all convictions spent and unspent, coppers and such like, Engineering Officers probably don't.

As others have said when they do a background check they'll see everything, and if there's something on there that you should have declared, it's fan time for the Sh1t, and your application.

Good Luck

Y

Yidmister

You dont need to declare any cautions only convictions that are not spent. The rehabilitaion of offenders act you sign does not mention cautions, only convictions. You will be asked at interview if you have any convictions, therefore you say no, you do not need to say anything about your caution.

G

GmanJock

i was set to join RAFP but then got a fine at court for something very silly, but no matter how silly it did throw my application to the RAFP out the window which is more than understandable,
to make it even more annoying, due to the current recession, and the high recruiting thats going on just now, they arent allowing anyone who will need a waiver in, and are suggesting that those who need one to re-apply in 6 months time.

the high recruiting numbers will soon drop 'apparently' and waivers will again be issued. Im going back Reg now, and although they done ask for everything, it is always better to bring it up, no matter how daft and small it may be :PDT_Xtremez_14:

good luck with it all mate :PDT_Xtremez_14:

Back