• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Debt and joining up

• Thread starter Thread starter rdchick
  • Start date Start date
R

rdchick

Hi everyone

I am petrified that something is going to hold me back from getting into the RAF.

I want to join to be a student nurse. I have a degree but whilst getting said degree I have quite a large amount of debt (currently stands at £7000). By the time November rolls round again I should be down to about £3000 and average payments of around £100 a month.

I have no defaults, CCJ's or other bad stuff just a loan that needs shifting (obviously got my student loans etc but don't think that's a problem).

Will this hold me back?

I have heard so many stories but all I know from the RAF is that if it is servicable (ie: if you can pay the minimum) whilst on a low wage of say £13K then it's fine.

I am trying to be as close to debt free as I can before I reapply this year but want to know if is going to be a problem if I have some debt?

Thanks in advance and good luck if you're applying too :)

xxx

Drill Bit

Sergeant
In short; no, your current situation will not preclude you from joining the RAF. There are plenty of graduates with bigger debts than yours joining the RAF; so long as you can continue to meet your payments with a RAF trainee salary then you're fine.

C

CC

Exactly what Drillbit says. I've seen plenty of Officers' pay statements with student loans (debt) on there. It shouldn't cause you any problems. Good luck.

R

rdchick

Wipes brow *phew* thanks guys...

I was getting rather worried... thought losing 4 stone, getting up at the crack of dawn for runs round the park, retaking my GCSE Maths and a ridiculous amount of press ups would all be for nothing because of my debt.

They will see that I have been dedicated to paying off my debt and that I haven't missed payments or got myself in deeper trouble so all being well...

Thanks again and thanks for your speedy replies :)

tats

Sergeant
I have a student debt of around £9k thats being paid off slowly through my pay cheques and its never done me any harm, they take it all automatically every month which makes everything nice and easy.

God knows how long its going to take me to actually pay the whole thing off as its currently decreasing at £60 a month, not sure how much interest its going up by though so its all good, plus as soon as I leave I'll stop paying it off as I won't be earning enough woohoo!!

When you do the interview declare it as it stands. We used to balance income and outgoings when we did the post interview write up. If you can meet the payments you're a good un. Any legal action like ccjs will be found during vetting!

Back