• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Desktop vs Laptop

Desktop vs Laptop

• Desktop

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Laptop

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • What??? Get a Playstation! FFS!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 'Orses for courses... depeneds on what you want.

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters

Shugster

Warrant Officer
I was always a desktop fan and have built numerous PC's myself, (Which is easy BTW if you haven't tried).

But as laptops are catching up on desktops in terms of processor power and graphics cards.... Which would you say is better?

I think a desktop will still win if you're a serious gamer, but if you're not would a laptop be a better choice?

spanners

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I bought my first laptop 2 months ago and it does have obvious advantages over a desk top. I like the fact I can take anywhere in the house and use it and it was a great help to pass the time when I was OOA. The only down side of it is the battery life, I get about 2hrs out of mine, suppose I could always buy a spare one, but at the moment, I don’t need one.
I’m not a gamer and I still use my desk top as and when, but overall, I would say a laptop should meet all of your needs, and with prices coming down, they are looking even better.

Shugster

Warrant Officer
Sorry, I was thinking like one of those civvie scumbags!

If you travel alot then yes, a laptop is the obvious choice.

But if you're a bay wallah? Or some civvie barsteward like me?....

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
I think you probably already know the answer to this one yourself.

I am also debating whether to flog my netbook and desktop and put the cash towards a decent spec laptop.

Upgrade costs are significantly higher (as I'm sure you'll know) but these days a Desktop Computer is fast edging towards redundancy as a platform.

Unless of course you are a hardcore super l33t gamer (and therefore still live with your mum and w@nk a lot).

That said, modern consoles, with a decent plasma HDTV and quality cables will take an average Gamers Desktop and slap it about like an Ipswich lorry driver with a hooker.

So my answer would be, dump the desktop, get as good a Laptop as you can afford and an xBox360/ PS3.

You can always part the desktop out on eBay, you always get a better price for the components.

Shugster

Warrant Officer
I think you probably already know the answer to this one yourself.

I am also debating whether to flog my netbook and desktop and put the cash towards a decent spec laptop.

Upgrade costs are significantly higher (as I'm sure you'll know) but these days a Desktop Computer is fast edging towards redundancy as a platform.

Unless of course you are a hardcore super l33t gamer (and therefore still live with your mum and w@nk a lot).

That said, modern consoles, with a decent plasma HDTV and quality cables will take an average Gamers Desktop and slap it about like an Ipswich lorry driver with a hooker.

So my answer would be, dump the desktop, get as good a Laptop as you can afford and an xBox360/ PS3.

You can always part the desktop out on eBay, you always get a better price for the components.

I don't live with my Mum.... I might polish my rocket very rarely, but no more than 3 times a day.

G

grumpyoldb

Desktop for me.
3 internal hdd's, and two external.
Over 1,000 Gb's of storage space.

Where does a lapdog come into it?

If you're a gamer, a laptop is not enough.
And you still need space to store the educational stuff!!!

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
A 500Gb external HDD in a 2.5" caddy and a 500Gb LAN Drive is all the storage I need (for the moment).
Frees up the Lappy hard drive for those things that arose my interest and need further private study.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
For me, the choice is is less well defined. If you have a laptop and you want all the extras, you'll be lugging about rather a lot of kit, so a decent desktop is the answer. Oh, yes, one other thing; I like a large keyboard and a separate mouse.

Very difficult to compare when they are essentially different items designed for different uses. I am a fan of both and have pluses/negatives for both. I am not a gamer but the desktop is easier to upgrade whereas the lappy is expensive to upgrade. Desktop parts are easy to swap over and cheap. My PC has had all the parts replaced at least once (apart from the box) so is in essence a new machine and as it has evolved has kept up to date with high end specs. This has been relatively cheap as each component was replaced at regular intervals witht he old part being sold on. My laptop (other than the hard drive and memory) is difficult to upgrade and also very expensive. The main benefit of the laptop is its portability but could not replace a desktop for performance if buying a like for like processor. Therefore, desktop wins hand down for normal use but laptop for mobility.

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
For me, the choice is is less well defined. If you have a laptop and you want all the extras, you'll be lugging about rather a lot of kit, so a decent desktop is the answer. Oh, yes, one other thing; I like a large keyboard and a separate mouse.

I have a wireless keyboard and mouse I use with mine. It allows me too sit further from the screen in the van, lets me spend longer on the Goat before my eyes melt :PDT_Xtremez_14:

Having just been to a LAN party and seeing the behemoths that some of the guys were using I would say desktop, but at the moment a laptop is more suitable. Close it bag it and carry it. I am due to upgrade this year, but I really can't decide whether to get a new lappy or a f*** off great tower with all the toys in it.

Back