• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Did you hear the one about the ex-ranker?

Peanut068

LAC
Hi All,

Grateful for thoughts from folk in the know...

I left the mob in 2004 after four years' service in the now defunct TG11. Since then I've got myself some good Qs and a bundle of life experience and forged a good career. But I've always had the nagging in the back of my head to apply for a commission at some point and frankly I'm getting bored of the 9-5. At 28 I'm approaching the now or never point so I'm now putting serious thought into an application in the New Year (although some people say things have changed in the last ten years). What do folk think to the following questions:

(1) I'm 28; I appreciate the upper age limit for RAF Regiment Officers is 36 but would a fit 28 year old be a strong contender for PROC and JROC?

(2) With four years' service, if successful at OASC, would I carry any pay enhancement during IOT?

(3) Re-joining would involve a drop in income. I'm comfortable with this, but would OASC question the reasons one would be prepared to take a significant pay cut?

The last of those isn't meant to sound immodest and I'm probably over-thinking it.

Anyway, grateful for your thoughts, Jonny

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Hi All,

Grateful for thoughts from folk in the know...

I left the mob in 2004 after four years' service in the now defunct TG11. Since then I've got myself some good Qs and a bundle of life experience and forged a good career. But I've always had the nagging in the back of my head to apply for a commission at some point and frankly I'm getting bored of the 9-5. At 28 I'm approaching the now or never point so I'm now putting serious thought into an application in the New Year (although some people say things have changed in the last ten years). What do folk think to the following questions:

(1) I'm 28; I appreciate the upper age limit for RAF Regiment Officers is 36 but would a fit 28 year old be a strong contender for PROC and JROC? Provided you met AND EXCEEDED the standards that are set at PROC and JROC then you will have as much of a chance as every other applicant. It's up to YOU to ensure that YOU are the man who gains a training place and not the next man.

(2) With four years' service, if successful at OASC, would I carry any pay enhancement during IOT? That is something that OASC will decide. I wouldn't count on it as you aren't an airman transferring over for commissioning but an ex-P3 joining the RAF as P2 after a break of several years.

(3) Re-joining would involve a drop in income. I'm comfortable with this, but would OASC question the reasons one would be prepared to take a significant pay cut? Yes they will. They will want to ensure that you aren't going to become a financial and administrative burden to the RAF, much like when you were asked when you did your Selection Interview before you joined last time. If they think that you could become a problem, especially as an Officer, then it will be marked against you.

The last of those isn't meant to sound immodest and I'm probably over-thinking it.

Anyway, grateful for your thoughts, Jonny

Please see my answers above!