• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DiDA Qualification - Is it recognised?

My 14 year old step-son is just doing his options for GCSE courses which start in Sep. He has mentioned that he may like to join the RAF in the future, possibly after 6th Form.

One of the subjects that the school is promoting in a big way is
DiDA - Diploma in Digital Applications.

The school is saying that depending on what level the student acheives in 2 years time this could be the equivalent to 4 x GCSE's etc etc.

My question for the recruiting goaters out there: Is this DiDA qualification recognised by the RAF?

I have been doing a bit of research and what I am discovering is that DiDA is not all that good and is not recognised by colleges or Uni.

Anyone out there with experience of DiDA?

Just wish he would do a GCSE in ICT !

Asbach

LAC
I'll try to get an answer to that one at work tomorrow... If I get some time!!

I'll hopefully have an answer on here soon.

Asbach

LAC
I have spoken to the "font of all knowledge" at Cranwell and she has stated that the DiDA is acceptable to the RAF depending on the level of study to be followed.

She did however state that, as a result of the vagaries of RAF education equivalencies, the DiDA would probably only account for 3 GCSEs.

I hope this helps.

C

crazylazyme

This sounds to me like a subject which I took when choosing my options at GCSE. I was told then that a GNVQ intermediate in ICT would be equal to 4x GCSE's, which sounded great and I loved learning about it. Unfortunately a GNVQ now means nothing and isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

I've been for interviews talked with recruiters at great length (Army, RAF and civilian jobs) about my qualifications and the best things to have are GCSE's, in particular the 'core' subjects like english, maths, science, geography, history etc.

So this is my advice; whilst he may enjoy doing this Diploma it may in the future, like my GNVQ, become worthless as it's not seen as a real subject. From my past experience I would strongly advise against it.

Back