• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Disappeared DVD Drive and worse!

Help please!

Went to run a DVD on my laptop today and found the DVD Drive Icon was no where to be found.

I opened up the Device Manager and there was a yellow exclamation mark next to the drive. I tried to reinstall the driver and got a Error 39 msg (Driver error), so I reinstalled the driver and got the same msg.

Next up I uninstalled the drive, restarted the laptop, reinstalled the drive and still get the same errors! Then tried to System Restore but that kept failing.

I went on the HP website and found the drivers and still got the same error msg.

I started to think the drive was knackered so I put the Windows recovery disk in it was recognised on the boot. Great I thought! will just recover windows from the disk!!

Everything was going well the Drive read light was merrily flashing away and all installation procedure was going fine. it goes to the windows setup screen and fails to recognise the DVD Drive!:S

So now my laptop is stuck in a permanent cycle as it cant complete the reinstall of windows from the disc!

Any pointers would be very gratefully recieved!!

M

monobrow

Look to see if the drive is removable in any way shape or form, give it a good "re-seating". There could be a dodgy connection in there somewhere. I don't recomend dismantling it though!!

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
All Laptop Drives are replaceable although there can be a couple of problems involved in this.

Primarily it can mean partially dissasembling your Laptop with some models.

Another option is to boot from USB, you can check with your manufacturer or in your BIOS to see if this is possible, then get your hands on an external CD ROM of some kind.

However, first things first is this laptop still under some form of warranty? If so, get it back to the dealer.

A Manufacturer and Model number may be helpful if you need further help.

Its a HP ZE2315us. Bought it in a BX in Kuwait so unsure about the warranty!!

Been having a scan on the tinters and think I'm going go down the external USB DVD drive to get windows back! Then get a new DVD Drive on the cheap when PC World go under!

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
Let us know how you get on.

If you have anything on the laptop you need to recover in the meantime, you could remove the Hard Disc and plug it into another system and just copy your files over that way.

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
Not necessarily, unless you have formatted the drive. (even then you could still get some bits and pieces back)

At last, someone who understands the point of backing up their stuff! No worries there then. :PDT_Xtremez_28:

Back