• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do I have a hope in hell of getting in?

37isntOld

LAC
I'm 37 and a professional photographer ... I'm physically fit and have the relevant qualifications for the role of RAF Photographer (Reserves) but after viewing the sites and noting how it appears to be young 20 year old people who are their target audience for recruitment I am worried I've left this too late. Any advice, success stories or brutal honesty would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P

pie sandwich

Ive had a quick look on the RAF web page and it does look like you would be too old to join as a regular BUT you can join as a reservist.
Best thing to do would be to give your local AFCO a ring in the morning and ask, that way you will get a definitive answer from people in the know.

Entropy

Sergeant
Look on the web. All Sqns will take you up to 50 unless your going for gunner.

Here is the link for Photographer trade

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafreserves/rolesandsquadrons/photographer.cfm

I know a professional photographer who was an intel analyst with 7010 and there were a couple of shutter bugs in 7644. Look at the reserves web site and either contact the Sqns directly or speak to your local AFCO as PS said earlier. All the info is out there just read up and decide what you want to do.

37isntOld

LAC
Thanks for the replies ...

Thanks for the replies ...

Thank you both for taking the time out to reply to my question and (following your advice) I called the RAF Careers this morning. For the RAF Reserves you can apply for any role they advertise up to the age of 50! Whoo Hoo! That's one hurdle down ... I may be lucky enough to join you lovely people yet.

37isntOld

LAC
oh ... except for gunner ...

oh ... except for gunner ...

exactly as you mentioned except for gunner ... and all the info is on their site, so thanks for pointing that out. (seems obvious now you've said it!)

Back