• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DOS on amodern[ish] box?

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Is it possible to:-
[1] persuade a laptop (normally running XP) to boot from a memory stick thingy ?
[2] boot from an External drive thing?

I need to run DOS for a special function (re-programming some radios, as well).
The laptop has only USB ports.

I have a choice of two machines. An HP (internal CD) and a brilliant little Advent (all USB ports).

MAny thanks

SORRY CJ

Flight Sergeant
Is it possible to:-
[1] persuade a laptop (normally running XP) to boot from a memory stick thingy ?

After setting your USB device as the first boot device in the bios switch off then restart and it will boot from stick.

[2] boot from an External drive thing?

Same way as above just make the external drive the first bootable thingy...

I need to run DOS for a special function (re-programming some radios, as well).
The laptop has only USB ports.

I have a choice of two machines. An HP (internal CD) and a brilliant little Advent (all USB ports).

MAny thanks

(ten characters)
Mr SCJ

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
Hmm, I'm dubious that it will work as you hope, I think you might have to start thinking along the lines of the Command Prompt option rather than running a laptop with DOS. Or a DOS emulator of some kind - "DOSbox" is one that springs to mind.

Last edited:

Entropy

Sergeant
You can run a DOS window under XP/Win7 (Don't know about Win8). In Win7 Just click the start menu then select the RUN option on the right. When the text box opens just type 'cmd' and press enter. A DOS window will open.
With this method you can also open the control panel window to see what the machine has recognised.

Without knowing what the laptop currently runs and what you want to do, I cannot help more than this.

Last edited:

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
You can run a DOS window under XP/Win7 (Don't know about Win8). In Win7 Just click the start menu then select the RUN option on the right. When the text box opens just type 'cmd' and press enter. A DOS window will open.
With this method you can also open the control panel window to see what the machine has recognised.

Without knowing what the laptop currently runs and what you want to do, I cannot help more than this.

The all-USB machine is labelled "Advent" and it is a very useful little box.
The other laptop is a HP Compaq 6910p.
Both are currently running XP pro.

Entropy

Sergeant
You can still pull up a DOS window in XP. In XP, just click on START the select RUN and then type in CMD. Just connect your device and you should be able to do what you want.

Back