• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DV & Parent's Residency - Int Officer question

Grouse

LAC
Hi all,

Firstly, hello - I've been lurking for quite a while but this is my first post. I'll introduce myself in the appropriate forum, but hoped for some thoughts on the below.

I am looking for a bit of advice as I've had conflicting and directly opposite information from my AFCO and I'm not sure where to take this now. If anyone has any ideas of whom I might contact to get clarification, I'd be really grateful.

I'm really interested in a future Intelligence Officer role when the branch opens again. I went to my AFCO to ask about this and was given information, plus what I'd already read on the website. I am a UK national born and bred, UK passport, no dual citizenship or any residency outside of the UK, which appears to meet the nationality requirements given in all of the literature I have - there is nothing which suggests anything further might be required for eligibility purposes.

However, one Cpl at the AFCO told me that my parents must also be UK citizens from birth - now, I have grown up with my mother and stepfather, who are both UK citizens from birth, and it's my stepfather that I have always considered to be my father, so without a second thought I said "yes". My biological father, whom I have never lived with, is from Ireland (which is where he lives - I can provide full details of my father for DV purposes). This occurred to me afterwards, and I thought in the interests of full disclosure this is relevant seeing as I would need to go through the DV process. I spoke to a different Cpl in the same AFCO who assured me this would not be a problem and the DV process may simply take a little longer, which appears logical.

I phoned the careers line to register my interest, and they asked me about my eligibility - I explained what I had been told by the second Cpl, but the careers line told me that because my natural father was born outside of the UK, this would stop my application. I asked why, bearing in mind what the second Cpl told me in regard to DV, and was told it was for security reasons that no one with foreign national parents could apply, and no further information was given in regard to how this would work in my situtation.

I'm not sure where to go on this as I would have thought the assessment of security, ie risk/threat posed, would be dealt with by the DV process itself. I know individuals whose parents are foreign nationals who have full DV clearance, including one whose clearance was granted in the last month (said individual is in Intelligence in the RN), so it seems this is not a DV requirement in itself. This ties in with other posts I've read on this forum.

I'm unclear on wh
y this would be a requirement for Intelligence in the RAF but not the other Services (or other government agencies dealing with Intelligence) - having also found documentation relating to Army Intelligence Corps training (also at Chicksands), this is not a requirement for them either. I understand there's high competition for limited places in this Branch but I'm confident I'd be a competitive applicant - I have a Master's degree in Politics & International Security, am very physically fit, have captained my rugby team for 4 years, etc etc.

I cannot find anything relating to this requirement on the RAF website or elsewhere, and I'm really looking for some guidance on how to approach this. I think what I need to do is talk to someone who can give me clarification on a) whether my situation is a barrier, and b) the reasons behind this given that other Services do not have the same restriction for working in the same area. I'm also uncertain because of the fact this isn't given as a requirement in any of the literature regarding eligibility, but my AFCO are not able to clarify these points for me given I've been told two totally different things and there appears to be confusion there as well.

Any thoughts, opinions or conjecture is welcomed!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Again speak to the recruiters as they are the experts, however seeing as we have individuals from the Republic of Ireland serving in the British forces, the limitations may depend on where abouts and which foreign nationality your parents are.

Unless there are specific requirements for intelligence staff.

Grouse

LAC
Thanks for replying. Unfortunately my AFCO have not been able to clarify this as one Cpl says one thing and another says the opposite, and I can't seem to make any headway there as they are both convinced the other one is wrong! I still can't find anything stipulating parent's nationality for this role so I'm still a bit lost.

Just to clarify, my dad is a Republic of Ireland national, however I was born in Britain and have always held sole British citizenship (I've never lived with my dad, I've grown up with my stepdad (also a British national) assuming the father figure role).

Any other input is appreciated and valued.

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
The recruiters will be able to fully clarify but IMO it looks like left hand not talking to right foot. I know of an IntO who is Fijian, Fijian parents and was born and raised in Fiji. Hopefully you will find out the proper info soon.

sparks will fly

Corporal
I am sure you will be fine I have worked with many it personnel and my father who I never kept in contact with since I was 14 often visited Ireland for the Marches even though he is Scottish I declared it and the DV chap was happy with that and I have been DV 3 times I think you are worrying about nothing

Grouse

LAC
Hi all,

Just an update on this. I have spoken with an in-post IntO who has kindly checked this out for me, she has come back to me today and advised that:

a) There is no requirement for both of my parents to be British in order to be accepted
b) There are plenty of in-post IntOs with a parent who is a foreign national
c) that I must be solely British (tick) and have been fully resident for the last 10 years (tick)
d) if I go to an AFCO they have to accept my application (I have already registered my interest)

However, I am expecting a fight with my AFCO over this, as they have told me they can't accept my application before because of my dad's nationality...how best to approach this, I wonder!

I've also confirmed with the DV people themselves that my dad's nationality/residency would not automatically be a barrier to the DV process, so as long as they were able to investigate him to their satisfaction, there wouldn't be an issue with the fact he is Irish as far as they are concerned.

As I'm still new to these forums I'm not sure on ettiquette - would it be appropriate for me to PM TrueBlueJack and ask for his insight on this?

Cheers,
Grouse

Last edited:

Liggy

LAC
I am sure you will be fine I have worked with many it personnel and my father who I never kept in contact with since I was 14 often visited Ireland for the Marches even though he is Scottish I declared it and the DV chap was happy with that and I have been DV 3 times I think you are worrying about nothing

You visited Ireland for marches? Lol

Sent from my iPhone5 using my thumb.

Back