• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DVD Drive disabled in BIOS

• Thread starter Thread starter Wonky Tonka
  • Start date Start date
W

Wonky Tonka

HELP!!!!!!!

My laptop has thrown a hissy fit and for some unknown reason, the BIOS has disabled the DVD Drive.

I tried to adjust it from the BIOS (pressing F2) but it won't let me do anything with it. All I can do is change the boot order.

Device manager doesn't even show it up as fitted to the computer, nor finds it on a scan for new hardware.

Tried the website for the BIOS manufacturer, but about as useful as tits on a fish!

I was hoping to format the system to start again, but all the OS & stuff is on a DVD.

Spec:
Packard Bell EasyNote R1935
Win XP Sp3

Bios: Insyde MobilePro 4.20

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

shettie

Flight Sergeant
Right click on "my computer" - select "Manage" from the displayed menu - select "Device Manager" - find the CD/DVD rom in the list - right click on it and see if the displayed menu says "enable" - if it does - click on that and see if it comes back on line

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
HELP!!!!!!!

My laptop has thrown a hissy fit and for some unknown reason, the BIOS has disabled the DVD Drive.

I tried to adjust it from the BIOS (pressing F2) but it won't let me do anything with it. All I can do is change the boot order.

Device manager doesn't even show it up as fitted to the computer, nor finds it on a scan for new hardware.

Tried the website for the BIOS manufacturer, but about as useful as tits on a fish!

I was hoping to format the system to start again, but all the OS & stuff is on a DVD.

Spec:
Packard Bell EasyNote R1935
Win XP Sp3

Bios: Insyde MobilePro 4.20

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Does the drive LED(on the drive itself) light up/eject etc. If it doesn't show in the BIOS then there is a chance it's knackered.

If it will not show in the BIOS then it will not show in device manager in windows.

If it is knackered then it is usually really easy to replace.

W

Wonky Tonka

Does the drive LED(on the drive itself) light up/eject etc. If it doesn't show in the BIOS then there is a chance it's knackered.

If it will not show in the BIOS then it will not show in device manager in windows.

If it is knackered then it is usually really easy to replace.

The drive itself is working fine- powers up, spins up the disc etc.

It's just the BIOS that can't see it

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The drive itself is working fine- powers up, spins up the disc etc.

It's just the BIOS that can't see it

I looked at a mates laptop that was doing the same. The advice I eventually got was, if, as CM says, the BIOS can't see the drive then it's fcuked whether it is spinning a disc or not. That lappy wouldn't see it in safe mode either.

BillyBunter

Techie & Proud
Yeah I formatted a laptop not so long back for a freind and managed to get all drivers of the net for that specific model. If you google your model number of laptop and drivers for cd rom, I could do it for you if you gave me details. Anyway thats worth a go before you replace anything as BIOS updates are a must.

One other snag is sometimes when you replace a CD rom is setting the driver jumpers to correct slave and primary sequence but you aint done that so forget that.

Your mdel number and BIOS update can be found by going to start/run then typing dxdiag then run . If you can find the details of the cd rom and the model of the Lappy i will look for you and see what I can do

BB :PDT_Xtremez_28:

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Yeah I formatted a laptop not so long back for a freind and managed to get all drivers of the net for that specific model. If you google your model number of laptop and drivers for cd rom, I could do it for you if you gave me details. Anyway thats worth a go before you replace anything as BIOS updates are a must.

One other snag is sometimes when you replace a CD rom is setting the driver jumpers to correct slave and primary sequence but you aint done that so forget that.

Your mdel number and BIOS update can be found by going to start/run then typing dxdiag then run . If you can find the details of the cd rom and the model of the Lappy i will look for you and see what I can do

BB :PDT_Xtremez_28:

Play with updating BIOS at your peril...........

BillyBunter

Techie & Proud
Play with updating BIOS at your peril...........

Yeah I only learned with playing about with it myself tbh (bios that is ) , but im confident now , I have built my own computers for the last few years :)

I may drink too much though to be able to know what im doing confidently but hey I only work on aircraft and none of them have failed yet ...hiiicccc

:PDT_Xtremez_28:

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
Yeah I only learned with playing about with it myself tbh (bios that is ) , but im confident now , I have built my own computers for the last few years :)

I may drink too much though to be able to know what im doing confidently but hey I only work on aircraft and none of them have failed yet ...hiiicccc

:PDT_Xtremez_28:

Thing is if it was working before then doesn't now it's not the BIOS.

BIOSs are fragile at the best of time, unless there is a problem that is known to be cured by an updates leave well alone.

W

Wonky Tonka

So, to kind of sum all this up,

My DVD drive is knackered and requires replacement?

Once I fit a new one, will windows see it and install it as normal?

What about the BIOS having disabled the drive?

Thanks for all your help thus far, everyone.

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
So, to kind of sum all this up,

My DVD drive is knackered and requires replacement?

Once I fit a new one, will windows see it and install it as normal?

What about the BIOS having disabled the drive?

Thanks for all your help thus far, everyone.

It will automatically picked up by the BIOS, the BIOS wouldn't disable a drive unless you physically told it too.

Yes windows will automatically pick it up.

W

Wonky Tonka

Would you believe it??!

The flippin' thing has only sorted itself out, all by itself!
Switched it on this morning, and up pops the bubb;e, "Your new hardware is ready to use"

Strange, I thought, not having installed a thing!

I wish I understood how it did it, but at least I don't have to spend cash on a new drive...........................

................do I?

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
Would you believe it??!

The flippin' thing has only sorted itself out, all by itself!
Switched it on this morning, and up pops the bubb;e, "Your new hardware is ready to use"

Strange, I thought, not having installed a thing!

I wish I understood how it did it, but at least I don't have to spend cash on a new drive...........................

................do I?

Chances are your drive may be on it's way out and for the sake of £30 for a new drive it's piece of mind

Back