• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DVD Drive wont recognise blank DVD's

• Thread starter Thread starter Wonky Tonka
  • Start date Start date
W

Wonky Tonka

Anyone got any ideas on this one?

My DVD RW Drive (ASUS DRW-1814BL) will play DVD's and will burn CD-R's no problem. However, when trying to burn to a blank DVD, it doesn't recognise the media.

I've tried both + and - R discs, no change.

Checking out the drive with Nero InfoTool, it states that it is set up to read and write to all blank DVD's.

Tried to do a driver update, but Windows said I already had the latest one.

over to you guys........

M

monobrow

This may or may not help, but it can be down to brand of blank media. My DVDRW will do whatever I tell it on Verbatim discs. I gave it a Maxell to burn on and it kept complaining of power calibration error (I think??? It was a while ago)

W

Wonky Tonka

Thanks for that rapid reply Mono :PDT_Xtremez_28:

I thought that too, so I swapped my Tesco discs for some shiny Kodak ones, still the same.

G

grumpyoldb

I have the same problem with verbatim discs.
I've even tried to format them, but the option isn't available.

M

monobrow

Bit of googling gives up this...
Hi!

I had the same bad experience with my DVD writer. Afther wirting the first light scribe sisk it went bad. I've try tu update with the firmware but no change. I've unistalled Nero 7 and installed NERO 6.6.0.14d from my previous DVD writer. Now it works fine and I have no problem with lightscribe disks(DVD's and CD's).
I think this problems are from burning software not hardware.
I like one post on there though...
I did find one solution at another site.
"Take the unit out, and through it against the wall."

If only they learnt what a spell checker is for!!!

Last edited:
G

grumpyoldb

Nice one, mono.
I'll give it a try.

The software................................LOL!:PDT_Xtremez_31:

W

Wonky Tonka

Just tried to update the firmware from the ASUS website, still no joy.

Looking like another burner required?

C

Comms_Lad

Has it always been like this or only since you updated the drivers. If so try rolling the drivers back to an older version see if that works.

Martin Blank

Sergeant
Have you got more than one burning program installed?
A few years ago Nero had a conflict with another program which meant you had to install them in a certain order to make them work.
Produced similar results.

Back