• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Engineering Instruction compliance.

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
On the platform I work on, CAMO is insisting that if a back stop date of say an RTI is coming up then I have to apply for a concession from the EA. Now the argument we answered with is, the Jet will have this EI completed before it flies again because it has a Work order raised against it and CAMO has sight of this, therefore the RTI/Si or whatever, has been or will be complied with legally and above board, just because the physical turn of the spanner is not complete whilst the AC is dead (I manage a lot of long term dead AC) there is no reason for another round of pointless paperwork in a world where I am constantly told to find ways to work smarter. Are all platforms the same or is it just the area of CAMO/EA interpreting the RA/MAP differently?

Last edited:

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Can the RTI not have a back stop of 'Next Available Maint Opportunity' rather than a date or something similar? Much like what can be attributed to an ADF / LIM's conditions?

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
The oint has been raised time and again that once SNOW is raised that EI has to be adressed if the date is passed then it flags on the short forecast therefore it must be sorted before flight ergo the CAMO now now that the EI will be done or a concession applied for. But they are insisting that even if the aircraft is not going to fly then a concession must be sought by the EI backstop date and through the set up we have with civvy industry this is costing money and time for no reason.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
How about raising a GEMS (Or having QCIT take a look?) or something similar, label it under some form of a stream lining process. I would have thought this sort of thing would be a dream to some bonehead Jengo.

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I'm at that point anyway but was wondering about the differing platforms nd whether each EA/IPT/CAMO department were playing the same or that mine were interpreting the rules differently as a power trip.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
This seems to be one of those instances where someone isn't really thinking the situation through and is insisting you apply the requirement to request a concession far too literally. If the aircraft is long term dead and the instruction is going to be complied with before it flies again then there is no rational reason why you need a concession - you could apply for one and reach the concession date with the instruction still outstanding if things don't go on schedule and then need to apply again.
Have the EA been asked what they think about it?

Craig855s

Sergeant
Cant comment for my platform as we dont have long term dead aircraft. Raise it as a CI issue as pushing people to carry out an RTI/SI on a frame which is either in storage or been robbed blind so it wont be flyale for months is a bit silly, but then how much hassle is a concession really? The concession shouldnt have any problems being signed off if you explain why the aircraft is bottom of the list of priorities

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Your EA sounds as thought they've read the books but dont really understand why they're asking for the concession. No-on in civvy st would require that either.

As you state the aircraft are "off-line" the EA should know that too. There are no MAOS regulations to make them do what they ask - it is just their misinterpretation of the requirements.

To ease your mind...they are doing it wrong.

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
If the card is raised, with the work clearly outstanding and open, what is the concession for? Backstop dates are to prevent aircraft flying beyond them, not to force you to raise paperwork on a job which already has paperwork raised on it.

You are not intending to fly the thing, it is already U/S with the work already outstanding. Personally I would be tempted to forget to apply for the concession (if he has a massive hard on that he wants it concessed, I am sure he has not forgotten how to complete the paperwork himself) What can they do, not let you fly an already dead aircraft?

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I'd imagine they'd want the whole Fleet RTI satisfied for upward reporting and to quickly close down the paperwork trail that instigated the EI being raised in the first place.

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I'd imagine they'd want the whole Fleet RTI satisfied for upward reporting and to quickly close down the paperwork trail that instigated the EI being raised in the first place.

I can empathise with them on that but it seems more important than the getting jets out. Which is annoying.

Back