• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ex Pongo...36yrs old. Qualifications issue?

• Thread starter Thread starter Striller
  • Start date Start date
S

Striller

Hi all, new to this...go easy! As the title says, im 36 yrs old (just), ex pongo (11yrs), been out since 2001. I have a good, clean army record, and have recently seen an RAF recruiter, who has sent my army details off to be assessed if i can apply to join.
I have shown interest in WSOP to the recruiter, and have the relevant GCSE passes for this role....however, i have never had my GCSE certs. My GCSE's were gained in Cyprus in 1989 (Forces Brat). Didn't need them joining the army, but have since tried on several occasions to trace / apply for them to no avail. Will this bring my application for this role to a halt....or does the application test/army education for promotion count? Would be good for a heads up, ideas from any one who's in the know. I will tell the recruiter before i take it any further, just be good to know the Gen before i go in, give me time to research other options (less glam role of mover....and the other few roles open to us old b'stards!)
Thanks in advance. Let the **** rip begin!

K

Krusty_Crab

Hi all, new to this...go easy! As the title says, im 36 yrs old (just), ex pongo (11yrs), been out since 2001. I have a good, clean army record, and have recently seen an RAF recruiter, who has sent my army details off to be assessed if i can apply to join.
I have shown interest in WSOP to the recruiter, and have the relevant GCSE passes for this role....however, i have never had my GCSE certs. My GCSE's were gained in Cyprus in 1989 (Forces Brat). Didn't need them joining the army, but have since tried on several occasions to trace / apply for them to no avail. Will this bring my application for this role to a halt....or does the application test/army education for promotion count? Would be good for a heads up, ideas from any one who's in the know. I will tell the recruiter before i take it any further, just be good to know the Gen before i go in, give me time to research other options (less glam role of mover....and the other few roles open to us old b'stards!)
Thanks in advance. Let the **** rip begin!

If you can't prove you've got the GCSE's then you're not going to be accepted for those trades that require them. A bit like 20 year olds trying to buy booze and fags...no ID ...no sale, even though legally they are entitled....Guilty until proven Innocent!

S

Striller

Thanks for the reply...as i thought. Looking like all jobs requiring no qualls then! I believe most job specs open to my age are on hold at the mo, not that any of them really appeal to me as did the WSOP. Gutted. Your a Flight Sargeant? Would you have any idea of the time taken to attain the rank of corporal for ground support roles (Mover, Firefighter, Supply?), for keen able bods? Is it usually 2,3,4 yrs? Do some trades have more scope for progression? Sorry for all the Q's.
Not having time on my side, ive alot to think about, i want to join RAF, just dont want to be stuck in mundane job, with limited progression.
Thanks again Krusty.

K

Krusty_Crab

Your a Flight Sargeant?
FS i/c Shift is a Forum Rank rather than a real rank!!!

Would you have any idea of the time taken to attain the rank of corporal for ground support roles (Mover, Firefighter, Supply?), for keen able bods? Is it usually 2,3,4 yrs?
Promotion in the RAF is far slower than the Army..Most people who join the Army do 3-9 years, whereas most people who join the RAF do 9-22 years. In theory you can progress from SAC to Cpl after 3 reports (3 years) and then to Sgt after another 3 and FS another 3 etc.

However, the competition is very stiff and although your ability is important, the quality of the written narrative of your reporting chain is equally (if not more) important. So if your reporting officer (RO) is an illiterate numbskull and someone else's RO is William Shakespeare, guess who's going to get the better report and better chance of promotion.... it's a fookin' lottery in some cases. Good guys sometimes get passed over and tw@s often get promoted.... there's no formula and no guarantees.

Your best bet is to choose a trade you think you're going to enjoy and make the most of it.

Entropy

Sergeant
Sorry Striller if I am advising you on how to suck eggs here. Have you contacted your school in Cyprus as they may know which awarding body issued your GCSEs.

If not, try the awarding bodies direct. The two main ones are Edexcel and AQA but there may be others .

I have found Edexcel quite helpful on another issue so there is a chance you can be issued duplicate certs (there may be a fee for this service).

K

Krusty_Crab

Sorry Striller if I am advising you on how to suck eggs here. Have you contacted your school in Cyprus as they may know which awarding body issued your GCSEs.

If not, try the awarding bodies direct. The two main ones are Edexcel and AQA but there may be others .

I have found Edexcel quite helpful on another issue so there is a chance you can be issued duplicate certs (there may be a fee for this service).

These are the main GCSE awarding bodies:
http://www.aqa.org.uk/
http://www.ocr.org.uk/
http://www.edexcel.com/Pages/home.aspx

or write to
http://www.sceschools.com/home.php
who may hold records of your education in Cyprus

S

Striller

Entropy, Krusty, Thanks for the posts. I have written & phoned the school and examination bodies, on several ocasions, during the past 8 years, although understanding not one of them produced evidence of my examinations. Luckily the past two jobs i have had since leaving the army (software engineer, engineering train driver / op) did not want to see my cert's. As you say Krusty, im going to have to explain to the recruiter, and plum for a different role, maybe firefighter or mover.....
Are the TCW still going? I did not see any job spec for them on the careers site. Reference promotion, I think i was trying my luck, seeing if there was a specific role i could fill, that had a good promotion history, lottery and lady luck it is then. Thanks again for your posts, i wasn't expecting much in the way of help / advice....thought i'd be slated for being an old b'stard...and ex pongo! Thanks again. This site will definately be a good source of info for the coming months....hopefully longer.
Cheers.

L

LOZ

Never surrender

Never surrender

I wouldn't give up on your preferred choice just yet, have a word with the AFCO first and explain the situation thoroughly. There are limited military-attended schools in Cyprus (Epi/Dhekelia districts?) and if you know your parent's posting details from that time,that may help.

I also know of at least one lad in my trade (Int) who had no proof of his GCSEs, but was able to join the trade by doing well in the aptitude test and then re-taking the GCSE exams. There should be no need for you to downgrade your career choices because of historally poor admin.

Practically speaking, the aptitude test should dictate which trades you are most suited to and which you should be able to succeed in. Keep fighting!!

Back