• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Eye sight requirements: Ground Trades.

atc84

LAC
Hello,

I applied today for FOA and the paranoia is now kicking in. Are there stringent eye sight requirements? I wear glasses but only need them when concentrating for long periods, reading and driving and can get about quite easily without them unless I have to read small print etc. My left eye is useless and my right is a little off perfect.

Do you think this will be an issue or will it be a case of just wait and see? (no pun intended).

spike7451

Flight Sergeant
Good luck in your application.:pDT_Xtremez_14:

I do know that in my trade (Armourer) you cannot have any color blindness & quite a few of the lads I served with did wear glasses.
I also remember one WRAF who I knew at Kinloss who had a false eye,mind you she was quite attractive iirc...

alepie

LAC
The minimum eyesight requirements are clearly stated on the careers website. No worse than -7 dioptres in any meridian in either eye uncorrected. If you need more details search for 'RAF eyesight' and you will find the actual guidelines on the British Ophthalmic Association website, including colour blindness for all trades and branches.

Sorry I don't have the time to find all the links for you...:pDT_Xtremez_07:

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
As long as your corrected (wearing specs) eyesight is okay you will have no problem.

The RAF will give you a set of specs and lenses for your respirator (gas mask).

The 'defence specs' have springy arms, small lenses and look 'pants' but you'll need them on the firing range as the RAF takes no responsibility for damage caused (by the recoil) to your own.

Good luck

As long as your corrected (wearing specs) eyesight is okay you will have no problem.

The RAF will give you a set of specs and lenses for your respirator (gas mask).

The 'defence specs' have springy arms, small lenses and look 'pants' but you'll need them on the firing range as the RAF takes no responsibility for damage caused (by the recoil) to your own.

Good luck

Unless you're unlucky enough to be blind and part time like some of us...

I just have to risk my own specs on the range and bump into people a lot when doing CBRN.

alepie

LAC
hi ATC84,
I've had a proper look now and thank you for sharing your prescription. Your eyesight itself is fine but FOA's do need to achieve CP2 on the colour blindness test. That means you're not allowed to be colour blind for your chosen trade. This is tested by showing you cards with numbers on them and if you can't tell the difference between subtle shades of red and green you won't be able to read them. If you can tell red from green you should be fine.

http://www.aop.org.uk/uploads/uploaded_files/raf_july_07.pdf

atc84

LAC
Thank you all for your responses. Luckily I have no issues with my colour vision. I can relax a bit on that front!!