• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Eyesight Requirements for Aircraft Maintenence Tech?

• Thread starter Thread starter laurieballard
  • Start date Start date
L

laurieballard

Hi

My eyesight is within the general standards for the RAF according to the website.

I want to apply for an Aircraft Maintenence Technician role but I am unable to find what the specific eyesight requirements would be.

I phones my local careers office and the man I spoke to didnt know and said I would have to apply to find out if I could be accepted.

I know I could apply but I wanted to know what they were beforehand to see if its even worth applying?

Any help would be appreciated?

Cheers

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Evening

Evening

Hi fella

The AFCO won't know the eye standards as they come under the medical banner so it will be up to the Doc to decide, if your eyes can be corrected then you should be okay, however, if you have the jam jar type specs then the amount of refraction can be an issue.

If you are of the Jam Jar Glasses type persuation then you might want to ask if there is anybody you can write to to have a medical condition clarified before you apply, they may give you the address of the Occupational Health department.

Good Luck

L

laurieballard

Thanks for the reply

I have a lazy left eye which can't be corrected with laser eye surgery and I only have about 25% (estimated) vision out of. This eye has a +6.0 prescription but it doesnt make any difference and just balances out the right eye so it can correct for both sides

My right eye is +4.5 and I can see fine with or without contact lenses from this eye

Cheers

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Give them a call

Give them a call

As it's not straight forward then I'd ask your afco for the address of the Occupational Health people, you will get an answer one way or the other and it would save you waiting on the list for some months before finding out.

Good luck though.

Back