• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

F1 season starts Tomorrow.

dessp2

SAC
I must be half German or something. I like Sebastian Vettel, always liked Michael Schumacher, would rather watch Germany than England in the football. Come on Seb.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
F1 starts tomorrow :pDT_Xtremez_34:. Oh great.
Happily its on the other side of the planet and at stupid o'clock in the morning where it can be royally ignored. With luck I shall miss the millionaires driving quickly in circles for every practice, Qualy (Sic) and so called race for the entire year. F1 all the excitement of international full contact dominoes.

Entropy

Sergeant
I've never really understood F1, it appears to me that the team with the biggest budget gets the title at the end of the year yet the principle driver of richest team who wins the drivers title is called a genius WTF. Always said when start of race is on TV. "Let's see who gets to the first corner in the lead so I can see who wins.".

For each title to be truly a measure of ability, each driver needs to race for each team. My idea is that a driver is tied to their team for half of the races and race for every other team for the other half of the season. This way the drivers would bring their expertise to the smaller teams and the premier teams would provide leaning for the other drivers.

If they did this then I would be prepared to watch and acknowledge a drivers capability.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
That’s not really what F1 is about, it’s about engineering excellence within the rules, unfortunately this costs a few bob and ends up with a three tier comp, those that have and can, those that don’t have and can and those that don’t and don’t.

Unfortunately, the cars are so good at what they do within the three groups, the actual racing can be pretty boring at times, qualifying can be more interesting. At some circuits it’s not worth watching past the first corner.

For me there should be the fastest lap comp on a Saturday, then have the grid decided by numbers out a hat, that should mix things up a bit and make things more interesting, of course equal points for both days to keep the motivation up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
That’s not really what F1 is about, it’s about engineering excellence within the rules, unfortunately this costs a few bob and ends up with a three tier comp, those that have and can, those that don’t have and can and those that don’t and don’t.

Unfortunately, the cars are so good at what they do within the three groups, the actual racing can be pretty boring at times, qualifying can be more interesting. At some circuits it’s not worth watching past the first corner.

For me there should be the fastest lap comp on a Saturday, then have the grid decided by numbers out a hat, that should mix things up a bit and make things more interesting, of course equal points for both days to keep the motivation up.

Saying that Hamilton’s fastest lap yesterday was amazing.

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
I hate Germans.. Especially Germans drving Ferraris. Germans will never be as cool as Alonso in a deck chair or Kimi eating an Ice Cream.. Or falling off his boat. :)

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I don't like Germans, I do like Wagon Wheels despite their obvious size/mass reduction since the mid 80's, I don't like liver at all and I am on the fence about F1 on the whole.

I think it can get quite dull in some races but wonder what else they can do to jazz it up? I'd issue flame throwers to the teams but you can only use them 3 times in a race and they are disabled if the safety car is out.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I might watch when overtaking regularly occurs by a driver out accelerating the other bloke on a straight or out brakes them into a chicane or shows bigger minerals up the inside of a bend. But not whilst some bod takes the lead in the pit lane because his minders Lenovo laptop factored in the virtual safety car before the other blokes apple mac did.

Tedlooney

Sergeant
I don't care how Vettel took the lead yesterday, I'd rather anyone won rather than that whinging tw@t Hamilton. I'm with dessp2 on the subject of Germans although it's gone down hill quite a bit since I was based there in the 70s. I still enjoy my regular trips over there to watch Gladbach though.

briggfairy

Sergeant
F1 has just got too constrained with no clear direction on what the rules are trying to achieve, rather than constrain the teams let them turn the cars into the fastest things possible with moveable aero and as much power as can be dragged from the engine.

There's enough racing series that have a totally level playing field with close racing but that's not what F1 should be about, you should watch it and admire the drivers bravery for driving 'that' fast