• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Few questions about joining

• Thread starter Thread starter steve987
  • Start date Start date
S

steve987

hello folks,

Im 21 and i've been thinking of joining the raf for about a year now but i've got a pretty bumpy past history (no crime/drugs) and i'm not sure if it'll stop me from being accepted. I've phoned the recruitment line but havnt recived any proper answers.

I've been/have been suffering from depression, ended up in hospital a few times but havent been "locked up" so to speak. I've been on medication now for a while and have got myself sorted out to a more normanl state. My question is, will my history and being on meds (which can be picked up at any chemist) make me a no-no?? I havent read anything about it anywhere and the chaps i spoke to on the phone didnt really now.

Also if that doesnt make me a red hot poker i'm not 100% on what i should apply for. Id like to be someone that works on the aircraft in the matenince side of things, so working on the engines, systems etc or failing that a crewman on the plane/helicopter, for some reason being on one of the RAF rescue teams has always appealed, allthough not being the nutter who hanging on the winch!. From what i've read then that'll mean applying for either the weapon systems operator or aircraft technician, is that right? As a side note i'd love to be working on the aircraft in the BBMF so anything that'll give me the best chance of getting there would be nice.

Now ... partly due to the things said in the 1st paragraph i haven't exactly got great school grades ... Ds in english and science and an E in maths with no further education after secondry school and no real work experience. I cant afford to retake them at the moment, so is it possible that if i do well on the aptitude tests (if i get that far) then they'll still take me? Or is it worth saveing my pennies, takeing the exams again, waiting till everythings setteld down with the budget cuts then applying?

thanks in advance

Steve

R

Reformed Scribbly

Steve,

The first issue you mentioned is the most important one to have checked out. Speak to your nearest AFCO. Whilst they may not be able to get the answers for you straight away as they are not medically qualified to do so, their guidance notes will give them a good steer and ultimately they will be able to seek higher guidance from the medical boards.

S

steve987

sorry for the late reply, couldnt find this bit of the fourm again :S

Anyways, would it be better to go speak to them in person or over the phone?? I dont have a careers office nearby so it'd be a bit of trek to get to one. If person then should i go in smart casual or a suit?

thanks

Steve

Back