• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

File system conversion

Soupdragon

Piermaster
Im currently operating on FAT32 and its been suggested to me that i should convert my file system over to NTFS. Has anyone done this? any problems, pros and cons?

Im running Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600) if that has any relevence

M

monobrow

NTFS is more stable and securer than FAT 32 and not difficult to convert.

Although, think twice about doing it with no backup of anything you can't afford to lose! (Pictures, music, video, documents, etc, etc.) A friend of mine did it, thought it'd all gone to plan when it kindly informed him the disk was now blank :PDT_Xtremez_31::PDT_Xtremez_17:

I have done this many times and had no problems (but then the mob have spent thousands on courses for me!). FAT32 was introduced in service pack2 for Win95, so is now quite old. NTFS was developed for WinNT and is the preferred option for WinXP. Although FAT32 will work perfectly well, the recommendation is to do the conversion. NTFS offers greatly increased security and file–by–file compression (to name 2) plus many other benefits. You may not actually notice anything different if you convert but your computer will be better protected from on-line attacks. As suggested, the advice is to make a backup of important data first. Also, it is not possible to revert back to FAT32 once upgraded (without reformatting the harddrive & loosing everything).

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307881

NTFS is more stable and securer than FAT 32 and not difficult to convert.

:PDT_Xtremez_17: Heathen ! Are you some kind of plastic spam ? :PDT_Xtremez_06::PDT_Xtremez_15:

It's quite safe to do mate, I did it a few years ago. Back up your photo's, music, videos of the grandchildren etc then let it loose. I t takes a while depending on how large your drive is.
My advice would be to start it before you go to bed and let it run all night.
That way it's finished in the morning and you have plenty of time to cry howl at the sky and throw it out of the window if it does go tits. :PDT_Xtremez_14:

Look on the bright side though, if it DOES go tits, at least you'll know what your doing when you get home from work :PDT_Xtremez_29:
That is, if you know where the disks are of course :PDT_Xtremez_31:

Soupdragon

Piermaster
many thanks all for the advice etc, did the conversion yesterday, after backing up all the important stuff, and it worked perfectly, no loss of data that i can see

many thanks

Back