• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Firefox users

• Thread starter Thread starter Justacabbie
  • Start date Start date
J

Justacabbie

OK, I've been using Firefox for ages now just because of all the reports about how sheeite internet explorer is, and I have to agree. Recently though I've noticed firefox takes fukken ages to open! If i get impatient it finally opens about 10 times after numerous clicks on the icon. If i try and close one of the windows it says not responding, if i click yes to end its shuts all 10 fekking windows. I then have to start the process again! Once in though its fine. Ive tried creating new profile to same result, uninstall reinstall same, shouting at pc, and a jolly good finger wagging all to no avail. Has anyone else experienced this reluctance to open on start, and if they have, have they sorted it? Thanks in advance

G

grumpyoldb

OK, I've been using Firefox for ages now just because of all the reports about how sheeite internet explorer is, and I have to agree. Recently though I've noticed firefox takes fukken ages to open! If i get impatient it finally opens about 10 times after numerous clicks on the icon. If i try and close one of the windows it says not responding, if i click yes to end its shuts all 10 fekking windows. I then have to start the process again! Once in though its fine. Ive tried creating new profile to same result, uninstall reinstall same, shouting at pc, and a jolly good finger wagging all to no avail. Has anyone else experienced this reluctance to open on start, and if they have, have they sorted it? Thanks in advance

I have and it seems to come down to my anti-virus software checking it out before allowing it to open. I use Kaspersky.
If you shut down your av, it probably won't happen.............but I wouldn't advise it.

G

GmanJock

yeah im the same, i first installed firefox a few years ago and put it down to the old pc, but since then iv installed it onto the new desktop and laptop and its still pretty pish.
after getting really impatient with it, as it gets slower by every update, iv went back to internet explorer :PDT_Xtremez_42:

P

pie sandwich

Like Grumps said chances are its your AV carrying out a system scan.
You could try different web browsers such as Opera or Safari to see if there is any difference, if not then it would be something else, before you open your web browser open up task manager to see what is running.

Killer Queen

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
I may have missed this but are you running Firefox on a Windows system or a Linux system?

I running mine from Linux and only occasionally experiencing a delay when opening the browser.

J

Justacabbie

I use XP home. I gave up on it this morning after 10 mins and still wasn't in! Time to try another browser I think, and suggestions recommendations?

G

grumpyoldb

I use XP home. I gave up on it this morning after 10 mins and still wasn't in! Time to try another browser I think, and suggestions recommendations?

That is bad. I use XP home and don't have this problem. It does sound like something else is stopping it.
First thing to look at is when did you last do a system clean-up?

Two progs which I view as essential for keeping my system clean are Spybot Search & Destroy, and Crap Cleaner. Both are freeware and get rid of all the sh!te which we inadvertantly get off the internet.

Google them. they are free.

J

Justacabbie

That is bad. I use XP home and don't have this problem. It does sound like something else is stopping it.
First thing to look at is when did you last do a system clean-up?

Two progs which I view as essential for keeping my system clean are Spybot Search & Destroy, and Crap Cleaner. Both are freeware and get rid of all the sh!te which we inadvertantly get off the internet.

Google them. they are free.

Got both! Not sure why its doing it, its the same on the burds pc too!

G

grumpyoldb

Sounds like there is something running which is stopping it opening.
As Pie said, open the task manager.........cntrl+alt+delete and look at the list of everything which is running. Anything you don't recognise, google it to find what it is, and if not neccessary, shut it down.
It is a trial and error process.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Sounds like there is something running which is stopping it opening.
As Pie said, open the task manager.........cntrl+alt+delete and look at the list of everything which is running. Anything you don't recognise, google it to find what it is, and if not neccessary, shut it down.
It is a trial and error process.
Further to opening up Task Manager ...

Click Processes -> CPU -> CPU

This will indicate which processes are using the CPU the most, in an ideal world 'System Idle Process will be at 85 to 99% with other programs flicking from 0 to 15% or so.

As I writing this my Firefox.exe is jumping from 0 up to 50% quite rapidly which is most unusual. Time for some diagnosis :(

I too had an issue with it when version 3.5 came out, but then the released an update a couple of days ago (3.5.1) which sorted all my problems out, in the release notes for the update it even mentioned that the big fix was for slow loading of FF under some operating systems.

To see if you have 3.5.1 go to Help --> About and it should say the version number.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Mine too

Mine too

Mine has just been updated and it now says: "3.0.12"

Mine too are we both behind the drag curve here.

Only bit of slow loading I get is when the puter is loading up and doing it's loggging in thing AIM/Skype/Network etc.

Try AVG for AV, it's free and none too intrusive.

Back