• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fitness Test

FlyerBike

LAC
Hi all,

Hope you all had a nice Crimbo.

Just been looking on the careers site. Have I gone mad or have they changed the test? Didn't it used to be 2.4km outside on all terrains? Now it's on a treadmill and there's no mention of the MSFT anymore?

Also, I was reading through the list of medical issues which would stop you joining the RAF. Some of the items on there I used to have and wondered if this would cause a problem? I had child hood asthma (used a pump), had grommets when very young and currently have Eustachian tube dysfunction. Does anyone know if this might cause problems? I also used to have joint problems (arthritis in the family) but which have funnily enough seemed to go away with exercise. Any thoughts..?

Ta :)

Last edited:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
That will be the pre joining fitness test, been that way for years

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk 2

Trusty Adjusty

Corporal
The treadmill run is a pre joining requirement that ensures you have a basic level of fitness for recruit training. At recruit pre joining there is no outdoor run "test" you will be required to pass the msft, bleep test to a level dependant on age plus sit ups and press ups. The reason for the treadmill before you got to Halton is that it is the easiest (and cheapest) way to determine a potential recruits fitness levels.

XVR RA RA RA

Sergeant
you will be required to pass the msft, bleep test to a level dependant on age plus sit ups and press ups.

And don't forget gender... A 17 year old female has to do one more shuttle than a 54 year old male to pass! Despite doing the same job as a male of the same age.

Male, 17-29 yrs, level 9.10, 20 press ups, 35 sit ups
Male, 30-34 yrs, level 9.04, 19 press ups, 32 sit ups
Male, 35-39 yrs, level 8.09, 18 press ups, 29 sit ups
Male, 40-44 yrs, level 8.03, 17 press ups, 26 sit ups
Male, 45-49 yrs, level 7.07, 16 press ups, 23 sit ups
Male, 50-54 yrs, level 7.01, 15 press ups, 20 sit ups

Female, 17-29 yrs, level 7.02, 10 press ups, 32 sit ups

clungemobile

Corporal
In the New Year it'll be a new topic, never seen on the Goat before. TG17 on Techie Pay.......oh hang on.....

After all the excess....loads of drink, wine and a mountain of food I think I have put on over a stone in weight. Not sure how I am going to pass my RAFFT....................

.............Oh hang on a minute, I left on Redundancy.....can do what I want when I want and don't have to jump when the RAF says so....happy days! cup of corrrfeee

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
After all the excess....loads of drink, wine and a mountain of food I think I have put on over a stone in weight. Not sure how I am going to pass my RAFFT....................

.............Oh hang on a minute, I left on Redundancy.....can do what I want when I want and don't have to jump when the RAF says so....happy days! cup of corrrfeee

I'm not jealous at all.............b@stard! :PDT_Xtremez_31:

Me too, I was worried about the effect of eating a whole tray of Ferrero Rocher in one go until I remembered i'm in my last year and exempt.....

RicHan

LAC
and "medical issues"

and "medical issues"

Don't think "the list of medical issues which would stop you joining the RAF" will help. The "small print" tells you it is not difinitive, and in my opinion, it is misleading with it's concentration on past and/or current disease/disability.
My son had a 45 minute CIO chat with a Corporal who then told him to go and do all the on-line stuff including the application. He then received a package from Birmingham with another load of paper. Everything was duly completed and gathered together with his personal docs. and another CIO appointment was made.
I took a half day vacation to take him to the centre of Coventry (45 minutes from here). Finally got in the door to be greeted by the Sgt.
Quote: "Hello R****, nice to meet you."
"Hello Sergeant."
"Is that a brace?"
"Yes." (the same one he'd wearing at the previous interview 2 months before!)
"Can't do anything 'til it's removed and you have a letter saying no further treatment required."
Short conflab about correcting a slight overbite and exit one very disappointed teenager.
P.S. My daughter has been told "do not apply for a Commission (in the Navy) if you have visited a Medical Professional in the previous two years."

Back