• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fitting Cat 6 plugs ?

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
My local spacies' building is shortly to be fitted with a Phone line and Internet connection [somehow].
However, the Radio Room is at the opposite end of the building to the phone line input and therefore the ADSL modem router thingy.
I need to connect my PC to the 'network' thing, or whatever they'll call it. At home it goes into the ADSL modem/Router.
When the sparkies were ferreting about in the loft, they left for me two lengths of Cat 6 cable; naturally, un- terminated.
So I need to fit that weird plug (RJ45?) to each end of the cable (assuming that the idiot from BT puts it where we actually need it).
Will someone please advise me on how to do it?. Somehow, I do not imagine it to be a simple case of 'solder cable A to connection A'.

Thanks.

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
If it is practical speak to your local ITMS bods. You might find that there are "spares written off" for people to use.

dantura

Geeky Fuelly Type
My local spacies' building is shortly to be fitted with a Phone line and Internet connection [somehow].
However, the Radio Room is at the opposite end of the building to the phone line input and therefore the ADSL modem router thingy.
I need to connect my PC to the 'network' thing, or whatever they'll call it. At home it goes into the ADSL modem/Router.
When the sparkies were ferreting about in the loft, they left for me two lengths of Cat 6 cable; naturally, un- terminated.
So I need to fit that weird plug (RJ45?) to each end of the cable (assuming that the idiot from BT puts it where we actually need it).
Will someone please advise me on how to do it?. Somehow, I do not imagine it to be a simple case of 'solder cable A to connection A'.

Thanks.

If you're close to BZZ, I'll do it for you?

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
I reckon it would be a good 'Real Life' good will task for students from Cosford.

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
BT socket and router by the front door ... radio room at the rear of the building. How about getting a router with more 'wallop', or another way is to simply put a broadband booster on the existing router, or alternatively use a wi-fi repeater near your pc to extend the range?

Or, if you are determined to hard-wire your pc to the router, get yourself an RJ45 insertion tool and then Google/YouTube is your friend. Good luck. :PDT_Xtremez_30:

Last edited:

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Well, if someone from a well-known West Midlands training base has a spare hour, I'm about 25 minutes away along the motorway and I'll even make a coffee. (Thanks for the offer, Dantura).

However, I have ordered a crimping tool (e-Bay, I love you).

I even looked up how to do it on Google. I think I'll have to try it a time or two first, 'cos it makes little sense so far (Instructions in the mob were a great deal simpler to follow and had background info as well).

We tried the WiFi stuff a couple of years ago, but the increase in price for the increase in power out did not amuse the Treasurer, so I hard- wired it. A pal fixed the connectors for me then, but he's left us.

We'll see what happens when Mr BT has concluded his spell-casting.

Last edited:

iainrm

Corporal
cat 6 is for gig connections

cat 6 is for gig connections

You should be able to use cat 5/5e cable and connectors cheaper than cat 6 and good for 100 meg.

Back