• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FOA query

atc84

LAC
Hello all,

I am 24 and have taken the decision to join the RAF. I really want to be an FOA and found out is open now. Unfortunately I cannot join now as have summer commitments with my present job and I don't want to let them down.

Does anyone know how often the FOA trade opens?

Nik T

FOMz

Warrant Officer
There is no set schedule mate. They recruit when they need them. The recruitment process takes quite a few months, its not a case of visit the AFCO and you are in training a few weeks later....

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
It will fluctuate depending on the need at the time, which changes. But the application process takes a bit of time, so the summer will certainly be over before you get as far as your final interview and you are also able to state on the application form any dates that you will be unavailable to begin training. If it's what you want to do then apply now, and good luck!

atc84

LAC
Thanks guys, I'm actually going to be abroad in Indonesia from mid-July so won't be able to make interviews and such and earliest I'm back is October. Will ride it out and hope maybe they want more soon !!

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
Thanks guys, I'm actually going to be abroad in Indonesia from mid-July so won't be able to make interviews and such and earliest I'm back is October. Will ride it out and hope maybe they want more soon !!

Seriously, get your application in now because there simply is no guarantee we will still be looking for FOAs in October. You will be referred to your nearest AFCO and asked to visit them with a stack of paperwork (proof of ID, education certificates, etc). While you're there you can explain that you will be out of the country for a few months and they will keep your application live but on hold.

Also, while you are out of the country, keep a record of your travel itinerary, details of places you stay, people you travel with, etc. You will need that info later in the application process, even if you do decide to leave your application until you get back.

atc84

LAC
Wow, didn't realize I could do that. Thank you. I have some time tomorrow so will get the ball rolling!! Thank you.

atc84

LAC
Does anyone know what you need to score on the AST for FOA? I really suck at electrical comprehension.