• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Free software lists

B

billyo

Just for information AIDA 32 is now called EVEREST www.lavalys.com/

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
My own personal favourites that are either Open Source or Freeware:

• Office: Open Office 2.1
  • Publisher: Scribus
  • Anti Virus: Avira Anti Virus, Avast Anti Virus
  • ITunes - vPOD, Songbird
  • MSN/AIM - Trillian Messenger
  • Outlook - Mozilla Thunderbird
  • IE - Mozilla Firefox
  • DVD Player - AVS DVD Player
  • Media Center (XP) - MEDIAPORTAL, Sesame Media Center
  • Audio - VLC Media Player, MPlayer
  • CAD - BRLCAD, FreeCAD
  • Video Editing/Movie Making - Cinelerra
  • Photo/Image - Paint.net, The GIMP
  • Project Management: Freemind, Ganttproject
  • Operating System: Anything Linux based, my favourites are Ubuntu and SuSE Linux

Hope this is useful.

MP

Last edited:
M

monobrow

Monty, if you want true open source, step over to the dark side that is an open source OS......

Linux
(in one of it's varying shapes or forms)

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
[*]Operating System: Anything Linux based, my favourites are Ubuntu and SuSE Linux
[/LIST]
MP

See above matey, for the most part 99% of these programs are available for Linux anyway.

I don't use Linux on the main PC although I have built several systems for people with a Linux based OS

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
My own personal favourites that are either Open Source or Freeware:

• Office: Open Office 2.1
  • Publisher: Scribus
  • Anti Virus: Avira Anti Virus, Avast Anti Virus
  • ITunes - vPOD, Songbird
  • MSN/AIM - Trillian Messenger
  • Outlook - Mozilla Thunderbird
  • IE - Mozilla Firefox
  • DVD Player - AVS DVD Player
  • Media Center (XP) - MEDIAPORTAL, Sesame Media Center
  • Audio - VLC Media Player, MPlayer
  • CAD - BRLCAD, FreeCAD
  • Video Editing/Movie Making - Cinelerra
  • Photo/Image - Paint.net, The GIMP
  • Project Management: Freemind, Ganttproject
  • Operating System: Anything Linux based, my favourites are Ubuntu and SuSE Linux

Hope this is useful.

MP

Personally as a linux geek, go for pidgin for MSN/AOLIM or AMSN for video/nudges etc.

Have a look at Fedora Core 8 as the OS with Pulse Audio, VLC as the multimedia player and possibly rythmbox/XMMS for audio.

AVG do a nice Antivirus for linux along with CLAMAV.

I agree with openoffice, outstanding piece of software, i've managed to lure my own mother away from microsoft.

W

Wonky Tonka

Never been sure about what to do with Linux.

Is there much difference between the way it and Windows operates, and will my MS software still work?

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
WT afraid not, well at least without going to a lot of bother and sometimes expense.
Linux has a program called 'WINE' which allows 'some' programs to be run but it's not that great.
Most of the time though there is a native Linux alternative that is just as good and usually free.
Download knoppix here
A free and complete OS on CD.
Its an ISO at about 650mb so broadband is essential, but it can be burnt to CD, boot directly off it without installing and you can be running Linux in a couple of minutes.
I use Ubuntu, and Linux Mint by default, but dual boot with XP to be able to play all my favourite games.
I'm no guru, but have been playing with Linux on and off for the last 4 years, its come on leaps and bounds recently much better and more user friendly than when I started playing about with it.

M

monobrow

Download knoppix here
A free and complete OS on CD.

To be honest, there are so many different distrubutions of Linux it's unreal! I quite like Ubuntu (much to the annoyance of Code Monkey) which runs as a live CD, but theres not only the straight Ubuntu from their site, theres also Kbuntu using the KDE interface, Xubuntu using Xfce, and Edubuntu for education based environment. Thats the ones THEY distribute. Throw in the ones that people have made themselves and the list is endless.

Just look at Distro watch, they list the top 100 distributions by page views! All them different versions of the same thing!!! (And before CM gets in there, yes there are variations on what they are based on.... the old Red Hat, Debian, Slackware, etc, etc that precede different versions, but at the heart of it, they all are the same core.)

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant

To be honest, there are so many different distrubutions of Linux it's unreal! I quite like Ubuntu (much to the annoyance of Code Monkey) which runs as a live CD, but theres not only the straight Ubuntu from their site, theres also Kbuntu using the KDE interface, Xubuntu using Xfce, and Edubuntu for education based environment. Thats the ones THEY distribute. Throw in the ones that people have made themselves and the list is endless.

Just look at Distro watch, they list the top 100 distributions by page views! All them different versions of the same thing!!! (And before CM gets in there, yes there are variations on what they are based on.... the old Red Hat, Debian, Slackware, etc, etc that precede different versions, but at the heart of it, they all are the same core.)

Off Topic I didn't say i didn't like it, just it's got a few quirks that i don't likeOff Topic

Try an Ubuntu Live CD/DVD they allow you to install direct if you like.

If you need a server distribution try CENTOS, it's RedHat Enterprise workstation based.

Woodja

Corporal
Not used Linux that much - although I did stick a version (think it is Kbunto) on a USB stick so I don't have to mess about with (or more likely in my case lose) the CD version. Just like the CD version it runs direct from the stick and does not require you to install it onto your windoze gaming box.

portable apps an os's

portable apps an os's

Highly recommend people take a look at the Liberkey suit, around 300 apps (if you choose them all) that can be downloaded to a USB stick and then run on any pc. Truly portable and apps to cover everything from office, 3d, gaming, cd/dvd burning, music, radio, computer geekery and more. Have a look at www.liberkey.com to get the suit. Completely free and legal.

Best of all once you've built your suit you it let's you know if any of the apps have been upgraded. A similar vein can be found at www.portableapps.com, however the interface is not quite so slick, howevr this will alllow you to download single apple for portable use without the interface.

As for a full portable erating system on a stick I recommend puppylinux with some custom add-ons fits on a 1 gig stick no problem, but see www.pendrivelinux.com for the full range and the tools to create a truly portable operating system.

Back