• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Freenas help required

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I am going mental at the moment. I thought let's get geeky and build a Network Attached Storage box out of the old PC I had sat in the garage. Hardware sorted... settings AAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

I am using Freenas and everything seems OK until I try to put anything on the two drives I have assigned. I can see the two disks I can read them (I think I haven't been able to put anything on them) but as soon as I try to put anything onto them or create a folder or change the permissions I get "You need permission to do this" message from windows...

Does anyone know of the just click this button here solution for this one or a better OS (free obviously) for a server....please

Entropy

Sergeant
Sorry I don't have much of an an answer for FreeNas. This is what my first steps would be.

1. As an administrator on the server go to the area that you want to store your data then use the command 'LS -L' there is a space after LS. This will return the permissions of that directory. Lookup the command 'CHMOD' as it allows you to alter those permissions if they need to be adjusted. Another check would be to see if you can create a folder locally as an administrator and again as a standard user.

2. Ensure that the disk is formatted in the correct format for Windows to write to , I think Linux can even format different flavours of FAT32 and NTFS but I may be wrong.

3. Are the drives a mirrored pair? If so un-mount the 2nd drive and see what happens?

However I'm tackling the same problem and using the Ubuntu desktop, not the server version due to it being command line driven and me being of a Linux noob. The desktop front allows you to do these 3 suggestions through a GUI.

The desktop interface is the only difference between the two, although with an acknowledged fall in performance, and when I am up to speed with it all I plan to switch off the desktop.

Last edited:

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Sorry I don't have much of an an answer for FreeNas. This is what my first steps would be.

1. As an administrator on the server go to the area that you want to store your data then use the command 'LS -L' there is a space after LS. This will return the permissions of that directory. Lookup the command 'CHMOD' as it allows you to alter those permissions if they need to be adjusted. Another check would be to see if you can create a folder locally as an administrator and again as a standard user.

2. Ensure that the disk is formatted in the correct format for Windows to write to , I think Linux can even format different flavours of FAT32 and NTFS but I may be wrong.

3. Are the drives a mirrored pair? If so un-mount the 2nd drive and see what happens?

However I'm tackling the same problem and using the Ubuntu desktop, not the server version due to it being command line driven and me being of a Linux noob. The desktop front allows you to do these 3 suggestions through a GUI.

The desktop interface is the only difference between the two, although with an acknowledged fall in performance, and when I am up to speed with it all I plan to switch off the desktop.

Cheers for the answer
I can see that I obviously need to do more reading up lol

I may be being thick but Where do you input the command LS -L?
I'm busy looking for a different solution at the moment maybe

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
A mate of mine tried FreeNas.

It ruined two HDDs with the proprietry file format that it used, even factory format software could not recover the disks.

You would be better off finding free Unix (Linux) software to do the job.

Entropy

Sergeant
I had a quick look at the site, I thought that it was all command line driven i.e having to issue all instructions via the command prompt.

However it has a GUI front end so not as bad as I thought it was. It will be best if you stick with the GUI as you can do the same things with it as the command line. Unfortunately the free software is created by geeks and so requires a lot of background reading. The Wiki should have all your answers plus their support forums should help too. There is bound to be someone who has already had your problem.

Have you set up your PCs in FreeNas as per this link on their Wiki as it sounds as if this may be your problem.

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Users

I would start with guest user, as it lets everyone have access, and then start to lock it down when you are able to use it and you are more experienced with it.

Craig855s

Sergeant
Can I make a suggestion (which is incidentally what ive just done myself)

How about putting the hard drives from the old machine into the new one? If you need to buy a bigger case it will be worth the investment and means you can sell the old rig in bits (you'd be amazed what it could be worth..a couple of gig of DDR2 is rare these days and sought after)

ScoobTech

Sergeant
Or if you really are desperate for some sort of NAS, why not save yourself a whole lot of heartache, and buy one, I can recommend Synology & Netgear for their small enclosures.

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Can I make a suggestion (which is incidentally what ive just done myself)

How about putting the hard drives from the old machine into the new one? If you need to buy a bigger case it will be worth the investment and means you can sell the old rig in bits (you'd be amazed what it could be worth..a couple of gig of DDR2 is rare these days and sought after)

Or if you really are desperate for some sort of NAS, why not save yourself a whole lot of heartache, and buy one, I can recommend Synology & Netgear for their small enclosures.

To be honest the big thing isn't the storage it's more of a learning curve on how to do it. One of the lads at work accessed his hard drive NAS via a kindle and I thought a thick rigger has done that surely I can do it cheaper and faster as one of the chosen few in the Fairy world.

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
The solution was NAS4free rather than freenas. I still an't work out which setting was different but it works fine now. Thanks for any help offered if I find out what it was I'll pass it on.
Now how to access it from a remote locat.... :-)

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Dont forget that your old PC will burn a lot more power than a NAS such as Netgear Readynas.

You could also try just setting up shares on a windows installation and administering via remote desktop connection.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Back