• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FTP Web Publishing

mad_collie

The Other Mods Made Me Do It
Just a quick one for anybody that does web stuff.

A mate has asked me to put a couple of pages on the net - basic word docs, he has the domain name registered & has passed the ftp login & password.

Using word as the publisher, have added the ftp site, password & uname in the folder dir, but get an error message:

Cannot connect to the FTP server named xxxxxxx

This error is usually associated with an attempt to access an FTP (File Transfer Protocol) Web site through a firewall or proxy server and the proxy settings are not set correctly to gain access.
To avoid this error, change the FTP proxy settings to allow access to the site.

Is this a XP settings problem on my machine? I would investigate further but I'm a lazy git & the pub is open.:PDT_Xtremez_14:

M

monobrow

FTP uses a specific port (21 I think....). Firewalls may block it, but the worst problems come from routers in built firewalls.

www.portforward.com has details on how to sort out most routers.

M

monobrow

Previously owned that modem, and never had any trouble uploading via FTP....

If I'm reading this right, you're trying to publish by using word itself? If so, try getting hold of one of the many free FTP publishing progs out there and see if you can log in that way. At least it'll tell you if word is being an arse or not.

I used this one for quite some time -> Core FTP or if you have firefox, you can get the FTP plugin here

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
IE is turd at FTP, especially uploading stuff.

I use SmartFTP but the one Mono linked will work just as well.

If you just upload word docs as is it will be crap too, you should have at least a basic HTML page as an index to link to them.

T

thegobbiecabbie

SmartFTP used here too.

If you want your pages formatted into valid XHTML/CSS let me know and i'll sort it for you.

The only problem normally faced when FTP is blocked is either incorrect details or firewall settings, with the message you're getting i'd check the hostname first.

Cheers,

TGC

Back