• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gay women in the RAF

• Thread starter Thread starter JayneDoe
  • Start date Start date
J

JayneDoe

Hi,

I wonder if any current RAF serving people might shine some light on the "conditions" for gay people in the RAF today. I know the official stance of the Armed forces is fine with it - more I am refering to the peoples attitudes themselves and the general "culture".

Would I be expected to share a room with other females and more importantly what do you think they might react like if they found out that I am Gay? Do I have to tell the AFCO when I enquire? Will it have an effect on my aplication if I don't declare it?

I am hoping to join soon. As a gay girl I'd be inclined to get annoyed and argumentitive if I were to hear people spouting ridiculus, non-sensical hate fueled views because I have a different lifestyle to them.

Anyone have any information?

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Yes.

1. Sexuality is not a lifestyle, any more than being left-handed or being born ginger. A lifestyle is a selective thing. But yes, if you decide that your sexuality really IS your lifestyle and worthy of regular pan-service communication, you will be judged on it. You can count on it - this is human nature.

2. There are plenty of homosexual people serving in the forces, and all could offer you sound advice. I suggest that for an intelligent, informed and totally unbiased view you address your immediate concerns to www.proud2serve.net.

There are some great people on that site.

J

JayneDoe

Thanks for that link. There are some interesting threads in the RAF forum bit. Looks like my mind could be put at ease reading some off the stuff there.

chiprafp

Geek Scuffer
Its such a non issue these days, I am more interested how someone performs at their job and whether I can trust them to back me up in any situations not what they get up to in their personal lives.

tats

Sergeant
I trained and now work with numerous gay or bi females, it makes absolutely no difference to anyone as far as I've noticed.

The only time it comes up is on a night out when the boys think they can convert them back to meat as they put it.

I really wouldn't worry about it.

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
Gay as in happy?.... oh no sorry.

I dont think people actually give two hoots these days. Most of us have better things to bother with like promotion, RAFFT, SDSR, OOA's to the Stan/MPA/etc and missing our families, courses and of course actually doing our job, to worry about who the person sat next to us likes to spend their time with of an evening.

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
Its only you that will make it an issue, there are many men and women currently serving on Ops who are gay, they do a fantastic job and its not an
issue for anyone. Whilst it is not yet compulsory :PDT_Xtremez_42: it is not the big taboo it was years ago.

If you do the in your face 'I'm a lesbian what are you going to do about it' approach then you will just get peoples backs up and that would happen in any walk of life.

Back