• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

GCSE's

• Thread starter Thread starter Lambretta89
  • Start date Start date
L

Lambretta89

I am looking to join as a Weapons Technician however...

Qualifications you need:
3 GCSEs/SCEs at Grade C/3 minimum or equivalent in English language, maths and an approved science/technology-based subject

English Language C
Maths D
Science D - However in Technology I achieved a C

Now can I just emphasise how much of a stress inducing process this has been so far, every man and his dog seems to be an expert on the forces. I have been training hard in the hope of joining one of the three.

Now im lookin to join the RAF will one grade make me crash and burn?

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Those qualifications are the MINIMUM required for that trade I'm afraid. If you don't make the grade, you don't get the trade.

The RAF will still be here after you go back to college for a year, study and get the grades required.

L

Lambretta89

Phone 999 im about to repeatedly hit my head off a wall...

If I go back to college for a year, thats a year of living on £30 EMA...21 years old still scratching around at the bottom of the fcuking ladder.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Well if you can't handle a year back in school to get the grades for the trade you want right now and are desperate to join the RAF.... have you asked the AFCO what other trades are open to you?

L

Lambretta89

Its not that I couldnt handle college its just I am wanting to change my life before I lose all the drive and just end up working in some factory hating every second of a very long work day.

Unfortunately my local office doesnt have a RAF rep and its a fair old journey to the one that does.

If I attained C in maths whilst in the RAF could I change my trade?

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Very very hard to do once you're trained unless applying for a commission or NCO Aircrew.

L

Lambretta89

Looks like im going to have to go back to the drawing board.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
You can do a GCSE in a week I believe...why not research it? Sadly its the case with us, especially when recruiting is going well, that we can set a level then pick and choose who we want...

Bottom line is if you want it badly enough you'll dig deep for another 12 months for the potential 22+ years of reward we can offer...

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
Those qualifications are the MINIMUM required for that trade I'm afraid. If you don't make the grade, you don't get the trade.

The RAF will still be here after you go back to college for a year, study and get the grades required.

Very true.

I assume that you are about 19-20, so you probably have already had 2 or 3 attempts at Grade C in mathematics. Well done for keeping on trying; don't give up yet. But you have to bear in mind that the required minimum is in place for a reason. If you had to struggle to get there, you will have a tough time on any course - guaranteed. It's a bit like youngsters who scrape Grade C and think that they can waltz straight into A-level maths. Most of them crash out by October/November.

Get yourself entered for the November exams. Start work now. You've got 3 months. Make a timetable of all the topics - sub topics (there's 20-100 in all). Allocate 2-3 hours per night and learn one topic - sub topic thoroughly. Just get into the habit. You'll walk it.

Back