• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

General query's

A

Altecice

Hello guys, I am looking to join the RAF in just over a year when i am out of (TYPO ment School) but i have some questions that would be helpful if answered :).

First of all I will be joining as an Information and Communications Technology Technician,

Does anyone here current do/have done and can give me some pointers about what i need to know?,What the job is like. ( i find myself very computer literate as i have been building PC's for many years).

Secondly,
I know everyone has 8 weeks basic training, what does this in tale?
And where do we sleep etc? Also what is in the years training for my job if anyone has done it before.

Lastly,
Living on base what is the accommodation like?, and can i bring my current pc to the base to use in my spare time, is there internet connection etc etc?
As i spent quite a lot of my spair time online gaming :)

Sorry for asking pointless questions but its just whats on my mind right now.

Thanks,

Andy :pDT_Xtremez_26:

Last edited:
A

Altecice

No i am currently about to finish my last year at school,
have not started collage yet.

Why what do you suggest?

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Hi mate, have a look around the RAF Careers page www.raf.mod.uk

Also, have a look around our recruiting forum, quite a lot of useful information on there.

Finally, try not to use text speak etc as it upsets some of our more highly strung posters!

Good luck!

A

Altecice

Hello, thank you for pointing me to that website it helped a lot.

ITgeek

LAC
Right the ICT Tech trade is a bit all over the place at the momment .

The IT role within the trade is getting smaller as all stations are moving over to DII which is a defence wide IT system run by ATLAS .

The trade has ground radio roles which is looking after all the kit on the airfields , Radars and so on .

You have 90SU which is has FGW , TCW. They are mainly involved with deployable communications so everything including IT , Bowman, Sat comms and so on .
There is Also trade slots with the RAF Regiment to deal with Bowman.
You have GSS which support Typhoons and all the IT techie stuff in there. This will expand when new Aircraft come into service and we will become more friendlier with aircraft trades.

There is also smaller more gucci placements like 591 signals unit and DECERT which deal with Cyber defence and secuirty of Communications.

Thats just a quick overview of the trade.

Basic training if you search there is alot about the 9 weeks at halton in regards to what you get up to and what the accomidation is like , All i will say it is 16 man rooms and shared bathrooms.

Trade training take places at No1 Radio School DCAE Cosford and you will spend 12months there learning everything from IT buidling machines, Cisco networking , MS server 2003 helpdesk to Radio and radar fundimentals , maths , eletronic fundimentals, and everything inbetween. At cosford you will be in 4 man rooms and will be alloud to bring down computers and stuff to make your stay better, most of us had xboxs and stuff also, Interms of broadband down there your stuck with Mobile broadband which can be a bit hit or miss interms of signal.

Once you have passed out and at your first station you will have your own one man room where you can have anything you want in your room , including Broadband and sky .

Some of the C4i flights the lads get together and have gaming nights which is a bit more social then sitting in your room all night .

anything else just ask,

El_Boomo

LAC
Actually, you can have your own broadband in your room at Cosford if you organise the installation. Alot of the rooms at the No1 RS blocks have got broadband lines going into them now since most of us have broadband