• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

getting onto fsta!

• Thread starter Thread starter gargantuan sweede
  • Start date Start date
G

gargantuan sweede

I really want to get onto the fsta sqn when it comes into existance! but at the moment i cannot find any info (aside from the 2 sentance at the back of an old tradewise magazine) i have put fsta on my preferances page but i want to give myself the best chances of getting onto fsta. I have started my licences (by post) and spent 7 years on the 216 so have large aircraft exp Im finding the whirly wing world is not for me and not spannering is annoying me now!

so anyone got some good gen on who to speak to etc??

BillyBunter

Techie & Proud
Well the last time C17 came up for volunteers it never made any unit apart from Brize Norton in enough time to apply. All the jobs stayed within Brize as I wanted to apply for that at the time. If the Tanker goes to Brize im sure you guys will be the first to know the details.

Odie

Sergeant
Well the last time C17 came up for volunteers it never made any unit apart from Brize Norton in enough time to apply. All the jobs stayed within Brize as I wanted to apply for that at the time.

I knew two guys at St A who got in on the first round of C-17 volunteers. So I suspect you're facts are slightly wonky. :PDT_Xtremez_21:

Chad Norman

Corporal
Indeed, bloke from Benson made it on to the C17 list as well.

As for the FSTA, I bet that one is going to be heavily over subscribed.

Get those blue books filled in, thats what I say.. not interested myself but the more ammunition you have for PMA the better. You would have thought having a couple of modules under your belt would be very positive however, what do Admin types know about such engineering trivia?

Anyway, good luck. I'm at Brize, probably till I retire/die in horrible 2012 world ending event. As soon as I find anything out I'll post it here.

Cheers

Chad

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
Indeed, bloke from Benson made it on to the C17 list as well.

As for the FSTA, I bet that one is going to be heavily over subscribed.

Yeah, and you can bet ACOS manning will fcuk that one up too. The Kingair project saw people getting chosen WHO HADN'T touched aircraft maintenance for years! Good luck to anybody that gets the B1, B2 or A licence out of them!

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
You would have thought having a couple of modules under your belt would be very positive however, what do Admin types know about such engineering trivia?

Nice sentiments but probably more true than you'd imagine: I had my A&C Turbine Helicopter Licences 10 years whilst still in the RAF - and could I get onto SAR? - "Not qualified"!

The Line Maintenance Manager on this project is going to be a civvie LAE. There is a very strong possibility that he will interviewing the candidates put forward by PMA and having a say in who gets selected.

G

goatblower

All,

There will be a DIN early next year with all the FSTA facts.
Also there will be a specific 'FSTA' drop down on JPA so that you can select this A/C.
Also there will be a box to check on JPA if you are already B1/B2 qualified. (believe me there are guys out there)
Also, as mentioned previously, ensure your work log book is up to date. This will not make the task of getting the license any easier, but it MAY be looked upon by the authorities as compliance against the years OJT.
More than probable that you will be tied to the RAF (by money most likely) for a return of service of 5 years. So take it that it may be a year for the Licence course, plus one year OJT and then 5 years return, if you have not got at least 8 years to do next year then dont bother applying.

Hope this helps.

JD

Cheap shot

Cheap shot

Yeah, and you can bet ACOS manning will fcuk that one up too. The Kingair project saw people getting chosen WHO HADN'T touched aircraft maintenance for years! Good luck to anybody that gets the B1, B2 or A licence out of them!

Cheap shot to say the least, but hey very true in some cases from a man in the know. If PMA has got anything to do with the selection process, I can say with some experience it will be f**ked up.

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
So did anyone get picked up in the trawl then? Supposed to be released to chief clerks by 30th July. I've heard nowt so guessing I've missed out.

Chad Norman

Corporal
As far as I know nothing has been released yet, loads of guys at Brize have stuck it on the JPA preferences, no one celebrating yet (or they're just keeping it quiet!).

Wouldn't be suprised if they hold off a bit (SDR etc.) with a big shiny Air Tanker building and other such infrastructure, it's gotta be in the running for a good scrapping :PDT_Xtremez_14:.

Oh well, good luck to all.

Chad

Rigga

1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
With no aircraft arriving til next year Air Tanker arent going to rush into getting maintenance staff yet - my guess is they've only got directors so far and maybe not many managers even?

They probably only have enough manpower to start loading AMP systems and manage the handover of the aircraft from the Factory.

10 at best, plus directors.

AirTanker

AirTanker

They were recruiting for some senior QA positions recently Rigga, you not fancy a change?

I had a phone call reference a senior LAE position that was advertised a couple of months ago. They stated that the salary was competitive but seemed reluctant to disclose the details. When pressed further they were looking to offer low £40k which is very poor. Looks like another military based contract that is going to be done on the cheap.

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
The info was on the Manning web page last week, 1st trawl of volunteers to be sent to chief clerks by 30th July to start training early next year

M

monobrow

The info was on the Manning web page last week, 1st trawl of volunteers to be sent to chief clerks by 30th July to start training early next year
Anyone been in touch with their Chf Clk? Can't grab ours at the moment and wonder if the list has infact been pushed out.

Rigga

1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
DH:
"They were recruiting for some senior QA positions recently Rigga, you not fancy a change?

I had a phone call reference a senior LAE position that was advertised a couple of months ago. They stated that the salary was competitive but seemed reluctant to disclose the details. When pressed further they were looking to offer low £40k which is very poor. Looks like another military based contract that is going to be done on the cheap."

Yep, also been asked if I want to be put forward for interview. I said yes - if the moneys right. I'll go and see.

It appears the guys are looking for Civil Airline Engineeers to lead the maintenance, not military. Military personnel beware! Civil standards seem to strongly apply.

mightyhunter

Sergeant
I've been told that I won't be looked at for the first License courses (Jan & Jun '11) since I'm getting my 3rd in Sept. Should be eligible for Jan '12 course (still have enough ROS at that point).

Not sure you will. Won't you still be in that magic 18 months in post? Knowing your squadron, I'd be very surprised if they'd allow you to leave early.

Sorry bud!

FSTA Update

FSTA Update

Taken from a recent article in Flight international (see HERE):

We’ve got a significant amount of recruiting to carry out – civilians with the appropriate engineering qualifications who are willing and able to become sponsored reservists,” says fleet engineering director Paul Kimberley. AirTanker has also recently signed up its first sponsored reservist engineer.

An initial intake of military engineering personnel has recently been selected to support the A330. “We had a lot of interest,” he says, with nearly 800 applicants having contacted the company about the first 11 available posts. The selected candidates will start a two-year training programme in January, and then serve a tour of at least three years on the FSTA programme.

Anybody been fortunate enough to be selected?

Rigga

1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Had a good look at it but I didnt like the organisational set-up.

So - the QAM's not me!

Back