• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gobbledegook

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Hi all, I'm simply moving a word document between my main pc and the laptop via a pendrive. When I open the doc on the laptop it opens as a load of gibberish, any ideas as to why? TIA
R78

example - …9yüiÏŽžTm´ƒƒYƒØŽT‘ÀŒ©PN#ÒœÑ=ÊD|Œù|p

Xé‹!¡“`çèMA{kæÆ]m„ŽH#'ª:r•ÆˆñÆZ{df$Œž¿�fêöð([I­ÕJ÷Q“ŸSEIØM\ÿÖö�L…î,3e°@ãŠØÒtäéab
’Ät«§/tq/Ã[1]C²8c9Çò²<™ò˜�Ï¥DÕÇqë€6ú€qNŽv•Ùöàžƒ&¤‘¿jó7‹uùXí$

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Hi all, I'm simply moving a word document between my main pc and the laptop via a pendrive. When I open the doc on the laptop it opens as a load of gibberish, any ideas as to why? TIA
R78

example - …9yüiÏŽžTm´ƒƒYƒØŽT‘ÀŒ©PN#ÒœÑ=ÊD|Œù|p

Xé‹!¡“`çèMA{kæÆ]m„ŽH#'ª:r•ÆˆñÆZ{df$Œž¿�fêöð([I*ÕJ÷Q“ŸSEIØM\ÿÖö�L…î,3e°@ãŠØÒtäéab
’Ät«§/tq/Ã[1]C²8c9Çò²<™ò˜�Ï¥DÕÇqë€6ú€qNŽv•Ùöàžƒ&¤‘¿jó7‹uùXí$

R78, are you using the same versions of Word? This is a common problem if using one version older than another.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If the document hasn't got any special formatting, try saving it as an RTF file to see if that cures the problem.

Life-Is-Good

SAC
Subscriber
Are you opening it on the Pen drive or copying it to the laptop first?

This suggestion probably won't help but it might explain...

Sorry I can't help further. (Or at all, it would seem!)

Last edited:

Realist78

Master of my destiny
The doc's got some JPEGs in it and it won't play. I'll have to go the long winded way around it i suppose by cutting and pasting etc, it'd be nice to know WTF the problem is though.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Are you opening it on the Pen drive or copying it to the laptop first?

This suggestion probably won't help but it might explain...

Sorry I can't help further. (Or at all, it would seem!)

It was opened from the desktop on my main pc, saved to my pendrive, opened from the pendrive on the laptop. I've tried saving the text only as a RTF and still the same, getting slightly miffed now.

Life-Is-Good

SAC
Subscriber
It was opened from the desktop on my main pc, saved to my pendrive, opened from the pendrive on the laptop. I've tried saving the text only as a RTF and still the same, getting slightly miffed now.

I think the link suggests opening from the pendrive is bad. Have you tried copying it to laptop, then opening?

EDIT: Does the copy on pen drive work ok if you use the desktop?

Realist78

Master of my destiny
I think the link suggests opening from the pendrive is bad. Have you tried copying it to laptop, then opening?

EDIT: Does the copy on pen drive work ok if you use the desktop?[/QUOTE]

Not initially but saved it again and it did, tried on the laptop, no joy. Looks like I need to type it in a different prog and then save it as a PDF for example. Thanks for trying though.:PDT_Xtremez_30:

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

EDIT: Does the copy on pen drive work ok if you use the desktop?[/QUOTE]

Not initially but saved it again and it did, tried on the laptop, no joy. Looks like I need to type it in a different prog and then save it as a PDF for example. Thanks for trying though.:PDT_Xtremez_30:

Have you tried downloading OpenOffice? It's open source (read: free) and opens just about anything. It might solve your problem.

Very handy for converting files into PDF as well (I use it all the time for Uni work).

Just a thought!

M

monobrow

It's open source (read: free) and opens just about anything.
Including Office 2007 .docx files, you can save as word documents for going back to an Office 2000 setup and a couple of clicks and you have the lot on PDF.

Plus you don't have to fork out the earth to get the latest one as it's a couple of clicks and a download away.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Including Office 2007 .docx files, you can save as word documents for going back to an Office 2000 setup and a couple of clicks and you have the lot on PDF.

Plus you don't have to fork out the earth to get the latest one as it's a couple of clicks and a download away.

I don't think our geek OpenOffice love-in will sway his decision unfortunately Mono!:PDT_Xtremez_14::PDT_Xtremez_14:

Realist78

Master of my destiny
I'll give open office a try guys, not tonight because I'm going have a libation and watch the box for a while!:PDT_Xtremez_30:

Entropy

Sergeant
Before you go down the open source route try looking at the save and compatibilty settings. You get to them by going tthrough the drop down menu in Tools-> Options. There maybe something obvious there.

Also what happens if you create a TXT file with notepad and move to the laptop? If its corrupted as well then there is an issue with the pendrive such as encryption enabled.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
It's the same with 2 different pendrives. I've gone the slightly longer route and copied the info into pageplus that I can export as a PDF, job sorted, thanks for trying guys.:PDT_Xtremez_19:

Back