• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Got a Seagate Hard Drive? Read on!

• Thread starter Thread starter monobrow
  • Start date Start date
M

monobrow

Seagate have been taken to court over the definition of a gigabyte. They calculated storage as a multiple of 1 kilobyte. 1K being 1,000 bytes. However most OS's (read Microsoft OS's) recognise 1 kilobyte as 1,024 bytes.

So thats why your 80 gig drive shows up in windows as 73 gig. But as a class action suit has been filed, Seagate are paying out.

Worth 5% of the value of the drive. Although it's all in dollars.

Full story here -> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000000091,39290393,00.htm

B

Bill Bones

How do I know if it's a seagate? (my hard disc drive reads as 73 gig)

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Sorry Mono, my 80Gb shows as a 30Gb. Didn't mean to hit the delete button :PDT_Xtremez_42:

M

monobrow

How do I know if it's a seagate? (my hard disc drive reads as 73 gig)
Go to....

Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager and expand the section "Disk Drives". If it starts with ST then it's a Seagate.
Sorry Mono, my 80Gb shows as a 30Gb. Didn't mean to hit the delete button :PDT_Xtremez_42:
Does it show you have two disks?? If it's under reading by that much then I would say you've either got it partitioned or theres a lot of unpartitioned space. Click Start, click Run, type compmgmt.msc, and then click OK. That will brink up XP's built in tools, click Disk Management. You should have no unpartitioned space, but whatever you do, don't try and make your current partition bigger. It'll destroy the File Allocation Tables and effectively wipe your disk.

Last edited:
J

Justacabbie

Sounds like you need a program like partition magic pro or similar partitioning prog. They reallocate unused space automatically, and when I got rid of a partition on my pc it was completely hassle free without messing up my operating system

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts

Sounds like you need to rebox it and take it back....... buy a ps3 instead mate :PDT_Xtremez_31: :PDT_Xtremez_29: Soory Cooheed, I couldn't resist that :PDT_Xtremez_15:

Like crash and smash said. You need to get hold of a partitioning programme, there are some good shareware ones which will allow you to view your partition information. If you do have a large unpartitioned space you'll need to create a new one. I thought the original XP disk will allow you to create a new partition. Is that the case oh great and wise Ubergeeks ?

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It's a second stand alone drive, that I use to stash my muzak and other things :PDT_Xtremez_27:

Back