• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graphic problem!

• Thread starter Thread starter Rich_P
  • Start date Start date
R

Rich_P

My PC has developed a graphical problem with my games now. I bought Battle of Britain 2, and found very poor fps rates and no matter what I did with the graphics it wouldn't solve the problem. I updated to newer drivers for my card, and the problem improved but then my model textures kept disappearing.

After a week of trying to solve that problem, I gave up while I found Armed Assault still worked okay (seemed to be working unusually good too compared to the last lot of drivers). Now I find that FS2002 has textures missing on the model too where bits of the aircraft are invisible (i.e. undercarriage legs and one elevator and another alerion, a flap etc). I also find that some textures in FS2002 are displayed massively and well outside the shape and size of the model that they're applied to.

I have reinstalled DirextX 9.0c and my ATI Radeon 2600 HD Pro drivers (by completely removing everything to do with ATI and installing again) several times and made sure they are up to date, but the problem still persists.

ATI's help is useless as I can't contact them online as their website is broke! (typical!!!)

I don't know how to fix this problem. Diagnostic tools say it's fine, but games say otherwise. :PDT_Xtremez_09:

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
BOB2 was fatally flawed with dodgy, stuttering graphics when it was initially released as, er, BOB1. It didn't improve all that much with BOB2.

However, missing textures seems to me to be a driver problem even though you seem to have tried a number of different versions.
Have you tried posting a question (or doing a search) on any of the multitude of flight sim websites that abound. Someone will probably have suffered the same isues you are.

R

Rich_P

Yes I have, and the only results I got was that they had the same problem but affected different games differently but they had no fix for it either and that they were just fortunate in that it didn't affect their favourite games.

Other reading I have done on the matter says that ATI make really poor drivers for their hardware, and most of the time the drivers don't work properly. I'm probably going to have to try and find an earlier version of these drivers and see if that makes any change.

Bloody incompetence by big brand companies yet again. :PDT_Xtremez_25:

M

monobrow

Odd way of doing things, but had a shed load of problems with my ATi card before and it was a combination of problems.

Drivers were poo. it was an old card but wanting somewhat more out of my card I kept updating them. I found that 4.12 was the best driver for my card so don't always go for "newest is best" try going back to whats on the card's disc or do something radical....

Un install your driver. restart windows, let windows find the display driver then let it install the driver for it. It does work! And mine run no better or worse using windows standard drivers compared to ATi's ones!!

Other issue I had was overheating. May be a problem, may not in your case but it doesn't help when the GPU is running a smidge on the warm side!

As for randomness, that can sometimes be a tell tale of a GPU that has heated too much and is now, well, f*cked. However do not discount the driver telling it to do stuff it shouldn't.

There are test out there for Gfx cards though. try getting something like 3dMark or whatever they call it these days. if it bolloxes up during those tests as well then revert to old drivers, try again. If still no joy, more likely a card fault. If that runs fine though, you need to start looking at the game itself.

R

Rich_P

Thanks, will do so if problems occur again. Since installing the old drivers that I was using before I updated them, things are working how they used to although nothing is as it would ideally be (minor issues like desktop refresh rate doesn't seem right to the eye when compared to what it says it is).

M

monobrow

(minor issues like desktop refresh rate doesn't seem right to the eye when compared to what it says it is).

What do you mean?? 72Hz looks like 75Hz??

as long as it's not the eye straining 60Hz or lower it'll be fine!!

R

Rich_P

Yes, like 85hz feeling like 60-70hz. Newer drivers fixed that. But then I had the problems mentioned above.

You just can't bloody win with these drivers. :PDT_Xtremez_09:

Yes, like 85hz feeling like 60-70hz. Newer drivers fixed that. But then I had the problems mentioned above.

You just can't bloody win with these drivers. :PDT_Xtremez_09:

7.10 drivers are ment to be the DB, single card performance increased by 70% for the 2400/2600 cards:PDT_Xtremez_17:

However not sure this will sort the issue.

BTW dont load CCC with ATT as this causes ATI GC to over heat and crash, with artifacts just apearing b4 the comp freezes.

However as you have stated already earlier drivers are more stable "sometimes" than newer drivers. ( yes posting while drinking carling ):0

Back