• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gunner or officer conundrum

Tom_L

LAC
Hi all,

I've been wanting to join the RAF Regiment for a good 3 years now and I've finally hit 16, my problem is that initially i wanted to apply as officer, but having just about finished my higher's i will have 3 (which is what's required for officer entry) it seems one doesn't count (modern studies). I have been wanting to be a soldier all my life near enough and im sick of waiting and the school environment isn't one i enjoy. If i was to enlist as gunner would i at a later date be able to apply for officer selection? and more importantly is the internal competition stronger than the external competition.

Sorry for any mong speak, thanks in advance.
TL

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
Cheers.

Don't you have to be eighteen for officer entry, anyway?

17 and a half but that's still a while away for the OP.

If i was to enlist as gunner would i at a later date be able to apply for officer selection? and more importantly is the internal competition stronger than the external competition

Yes you can, is the simple answer. The competition is not really any harder or easier as a serving airman than it is as a direct entrant although it is different in some ways. My question to you would be: if you believe you have the qualities the RAF Regt is looking for in its officers now, do you think enlisting as a gunner will challenge you enough?

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Hi all,

I've been wanting to join the RAF Regiment for a good 3 years now and I've finally hit 16, my problem is that initially i wanted to apply as officer, but having just about finished my higher's i will have 3 (which is what's required for officer entry) it seems one doesn't count (modern studies). I have been wanting to be a soldier all my life near enough and im sick of waiting and the school environment isn't one i enjoy. If i was to enlist as gunner would i at a later date be able to apply for officer selection? and more importantly is the internal competition stronger than the external competition.

Sorry for any mong speak, thanks in advance.
TL

Why doesn't Modern Studies count? It's a perfectly acceptable qual surely?

One thing to bear in mind in your decision is, as a Regt Officer, you will be expected to show that you have the potential to exercise leadership and management of men on the battlefield. If you think that you have what it takes to be an Officer, then by all means apply for that (Regt Officer is open to applications at the moment). However, there are plenty of Gnrs who have A Levels, degrees, etc. Again, there are plenty of Regt Officers who joined as Gnrs in order for them to gain a solid grounding in the Regt and the RAF before heading onto JROC. There certainly isn't any shame in getting as qualified as you can and going in as a Gnr.

Essentially, if you want to join in the Officer cadre, then you will need to show that you have leadership and management potential at OASC. There are plenty of things you can do to develop your skills in this field - captain of sports teams/societies at school, taking the lead in projects at work, being in a suitable position in cadets/scouts, etc - but ultimately you will have the inate ability to lead or not. No matter how qualified you are, if you don't demonstrate that ability, you will fail selection. OASC select Regt Officers who have the ability and confidence to lead men into battle, so only the very best are selected. As I said before, there are plenty of people who join as airmen with a view to commissioning later once they feel they are better grounded. Only you can make the decision about which path is best for you.

Good luck.

Back