• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Guy Gibson quote

T55

Sergeant
During a moment of unexpected patriotism I read the following in "Enemy Coast Ahead".

"I could write a lot about the ground crews. They are wonderful men and do a hard job of work for very little pay; only their pride in their squadrons keeping them going".

Some things never change, but at least they didn't have Pay Cut 2000 to contend with!

sumps

Sergeant
T55 said:
During a moment of unexpected patriotism I read the following in "Enemy Coast Ahead".

"I could write a lot about the ground crews. They are wonderful men and do a hard job of work for very little pay; only their pride in their squadrons keeping them going".

Some things never change, but at least they didn't have Pay Cut 2000 to contend with!

I've read this and talked to a whole bunch of aviation buffs since, and the popular belief is that it was written by an advising "ghost writer” - Ministry of Air, perhaps :PDT_Xtremez_32:

T55

Sergeant
I can well believe this. Since he refused to be rested and, it would seem, that when he wasn't bombing he was partying, I really don't see how he had the time to write a book in the remainder of his short life.

G

gemarriott

T55 said:

I will show this quote a friend of mine, he served on Gibson's squadron prior to the formation of the posers oops freudian slip I meant 617. He assure me that great man that Gibson definitely was he was also an utter barsteward to groundcrew, we still get them like that sometimes.

T55

Sergeant
I have also heard stories about how he treated his groundcrew. Allegedly, the techies used to feed liquorice to his dog causing bowel movements in the most inappropriate places.

E

ExJayTee

My great uncle was a NCO Wireless Op on the squadron Gibson commanded before 617.....so I asked him:-

"What was he like?"

"Son, he was one of them - a CNUT!"

Back