• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Has anyone used an online virus scanner?

• Thread starter Thread starter grumpyoldb
  • Start date Start date
G

grumpyoldb

How effective are they, and are there any to stay clear of?

One of my spare pc's will go online OK, but when I try to update the AV, something is blocking the program. It isn't firewall related.

It has AVG, and spybot s&d and neither will update even after re-installing.

Cheers,
Grumpy.

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
How effective are they, and are there any to stay clear of?

One of my spare pc's will go online OK, but when I try to update the AV, something is blocking the program. It isn't firewall related.

It has AVG, and spybot s&d and neither will update even after re-installing.

Cheers,
Grumpy.

I used to use Housecall as an online scanner as last resort.......not used for a long time so can't say if still any good, but was ok at the time.

Crack on......................:PDT_Xtremez_09:

G

grumpyoldb

Thanks mate, I'm just wary of going into an unknown website and giving it access to my system files.

SORRY CJ

Flight Sergeant
Stay clear mate, I wouldn't touch them. However, as it's only a spare computer you ain't got nothing to lose.
Good luck
SCJ

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
Uninstall AVG and install AVAST which is free for home users or try nod32 free trial for 30 days. Avast is a pretty good AV program but if you want to be sure install nod32 for 30 days then install Avast afterwards.

G

grumpyoldb

Thanks all for the help.

I just sorted it. I removed the HDD and fitted it as slave on another machine and blitzed it with kaspersky.

Removed two trojans.
Strangely, the machine only goes online once a week to update the anti-virus.

I suppose they're a bit quick these days thanks to broadband.

Many thanks for your help.

Grumps.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I use AVG antivirus and some other downloadable Spybot killer thing. I've not noticed anything untowards.

F

FighterControl

Try these.

Free Anti Virus

www.nod32.com
www.onecare.com - Free Microsoft Antivirus and Registry cleaner
http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols.shtml

Bewary of AVG. You need at least 2GB of RAM and remove memory hungry programs from your startup.

Best free Firewalls.

COMODO
Zone Alarm

Free Spyware & Malware removal tools.

www.superantispyware.com - Free version is manual update
www.malwarebytes.org - Free Version is manual update

Anti virus Ones to Avoid.

AOL or Yahoos free ones - as they are useless
Anything by Norton / Symantec as it uses to much memory and slows your machine down.

Best ISPs.

Virgin
Sky
BT
Orange Livebox

Avoid like the plague

AOL - Stupid software takes up too much memory and slows down machine
NTL - Stupid Software takes up too much memory and slows down machine

Toolbars

Remove them totally from the add/remove programs in control panel as they slow your machine down. Google, Yahoo, Orange etc etc.

Windows XP should startup from splash screen to desktop within less than 12 seconds.

If it doesn't then you have too many useless programs installed on your PC.

Vista should start up in less than 8 seconds.

Make sure that your Hosts file is not hijacked.

Download Spybot seek and destroy and READ the instructions.

Choose advance mode and check the hosts file.

Everything should be pointing to 127.0.0.1

Cleanup your system with

www.ccleaner.com
http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?Itemid=70&id=28&option=com_content&task=view

(With cleanup make sure the favourites is NOT TICKED otherwise you will loose all your favourites)

For those that use IE6. Update to IE7.

Make sure that your internet folder is using 20mb of diskspace and no more.

Occasionally cleanup your favourites list.

Get rid of your any "free" video and media CODECs and purchase the ones from Nero, or Copy DVD, as nearly all free CODECs come with spyware, malware or trojan viruses.

Defrag your harddrives in Safe mode

Startup PC/Laptop and keep tapping F8 until a black screen appears and choose safe mode. PC graphics might look weird but choose programs, Accessories, System tools and Disk Cleanup.

Then after that go through the same menus and choose defragmenter.

For those that have large HDD's or multiple HDD's on their system.

Lookup JKDefrag on google and download it (Zip file).

And last but not least, UPDATE your windows using the UPDATE windows icon.

And choose CUSTOM as there are more updates in terms of your hardware drivers and other important Windows updates such as .NET for better web security.

Those with Non genuine versions of Windows..... Hang on and stick with the free downloads and then wait until Windows 7 ULTIMATE is available.

Don't buy PC's from PC World or Dixons or Currys. Build your own from www.overclockers.co.uk

Don't buy a system with VISTA on it.... Don't buy over 4GB of RAM, as you are wasting your money as Windows Page file on XP, Vista and Windows 7 only uses a Max of 4GB.

Surf safe guys and gals.....

Last edited:
Back