• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hayfever question (Yup, I've searched)

• Thread starter Thread starter CaptainCamera
  • Start date Start date
C

CaptainCamera

Evening all,

Apologies for yet *another* question regarding hayfever, and further apologies if this is in the wrong area (I looked for the recruitment-specific forum but didnt manage to find anything!). I didn't want to discuss this with my local AFCO just incase it got passed further down the line, and have googled it but couldnt get the answers I was looking for.

I am 20, and, having had hayfever all my life; I know when it gets me, what gets me (grass pollen), and what I can do about it. I can generally supress the symptoms to a limited extent, through use of antihistamine and eyedrops. My nose often blocks up but this is for maybe 2 weeks in June. I havent been so bad with it in the last 3 years but at a JROC course I was involved with a few weeks back, I got it really quite badly, although that was sleeping in the middle of a field, which perhaps didnt help. It is grass pollen that affects me the most.

I am fortunate that I have the most supportive girlfriend a guy could ask for; she is determined to get me through the medical, and has gone out of her way to help.

Aside of that, I am in perfect health, with 20/20 vision, and am capable and determined to (after recovering from a heavy semester at Uni) of beasting the physical at OASC and setting VERY competitive scores.

The trades I am interested in are Aircrew, and there lies the problem. I know hayfever is a big no-no for Pilot, and may well be for WSOp (Any further clarification on this would be greatly appreciated!).

I intented to keep it on the down-low at OASC and get through the medical without it becoming an issue, however, having spoken to my neighbours son (Who is a medical officer in the RAF) I have heard about something along the lines of "conscious non-disclosure"; basically, knowing about it but keeping shtum will land you in a whole pile of trouble, and has got me thinking whether trying it on at OASC is the best idea.

So, in your collective opinions, would I be better off scrubbing Pilot and going for WSOp (thus saving a bunch of hassle), going for Pilot regardless and praying that the Doc giving the exam gives me the benefit of the doubt whilst I cram myself full if antihistamine for OASC, or scrubbing the aircrew idea entirely?

Also, is the medical for WSOp different to that of Pilot, and if so, is it more forgiving with the whole hayfever issue? I know the CAA have Class 1 and Class 2 medicals however I am unsure of what they entail.

Many thanks for any advice,
Matt.

K

Krusty_Crab

If you've had Hay Fever all your life and never been to the doctor it won't be on your records - that doesn't mean you don't suffer from Hay Fever. If you have been to the Doctor and diagnosed it will be on your records - End Of!! Taking anti-histamines will affect your performance, the drug suppresses your bodily functions. You might claim that it doesn't affect your performance.. I know blokes who drink a couple of pints of beer and claim it doesn't affect their ability to drive. However, when I'm in the back of an aircraft I want the guys up front to be in peak physical and mental condition. If we come under fire or the weather turns to sh*te, I need to be sure they have the reactions and mental dexterity to make the right decisions.

So if you decide to go to OASC and LIE or pumped up with drugs, I hope they find out (blood tests) and then you'll be banned from joining the RAF for life.

Alternatively tell the truth and see what you get offered. Above all the RAF is looking for team players not selfish pricks - which one are you?

Last edited:
C

CaptainCamera

You make a very good point Krusty; I'd certainly like to think that I fall inside the team-player catagory, I keep reminding myself of the fact that its not just my safety and the safety of the crew that has to be taken in to account with these medicals - what goes up must come down and it wouldnt look to goody-gumdrops if an a/c came down on someones head.

Okay, alternative, is there a seperate medical for Aircrew (WSOps) and Pilots?

If thats the case I'd be just as happy going for WSOp (Aircrew); I'm still doing my bit and I'm still in the air. I'd apply as Pilot, second option being WSOp, and disclose the fact that I had hayfever.

Matt.

Last edited:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If you have hayfever then any type of aircrew is unavailable to you...I know of one person who gets a bit red-eyed during the summer months and blames it on various other ailments but if he has hayfever it must be a very mild case...

Sorry its glum news but thats the case for jobs where hundreds, if not thousands apply for only a few positions a year...

C

CaptainCamera

Okay, thanks very much for all the information; gives me plenty of food for thought.

Many thanks,
Matt.

Back