• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

hello from me

• Thread starter Thread starter stevemartin1991
  • Start date Start date
S

stevemartin1991

just a quick hello. been looking over this website for the last few weeks. i finally registered. im at the application stage just passed my AST unfortunately the trade im going for is closed(aircraft mechanic avionics). so just dont know what to do just now:(

Obi Wan

Sergeant
"Allo" Never mind about not being a Fairy, you could always try for a mans Trade and be a "Armourer" (what ever you decide best of luck) Oh and welcome to the Goat.

:PDT_Xtremez_14:

W

whomper

Hey!

I've just had the same thing...put my app in for Int O and found out it's closed.

If I wait around for it to open though it could mean waiting in some rubbish job back home for nearly 17 months and, just graduating from uni, I just couldn't bare the thought of hanging around for that long, so I've decided to go for a trade thats in a similar vein instead.

The best advice would probably be to wait until your trade opens but if, like me, that just seems a bit to long then I'd say look at trades that are currently open or likely to open soon that you like the sound of and would like to go in for.

Don't choose something you don't like just because its open though as you're signing up for a fair amount of time so you don't want to be doing something you don't like.

Hope that helps!

P

Portcullis

NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS,

it is very difficult once you are in to change trades. You cannot do this at RTS, but must wait until you have got to Phase2.

What happens then is that if you drop out it looks bad on the trade school and they will then have a gap (which you should have filled) on the front line.

So, my advice is if your chosen trade is closed (most unfortunately are atm) pick an alternative (Nurse, musician and Gunner are still available) that you really see yourself doing in 6 years + time!

L

LadyLaw

Don't know if it helps but I understand from other threads that trades should be re-opening in August/September time. Certainly that's why I'm waiting to put my application in. I don't know if that's ALL trades or anything (I'm looking at officer jobs so it might be different for other levels) but it might be worth checking with your AFCO. What's another couple of months compared to the next decade?

W

whomper

Oh have you heard that for Int O.. I heard it was going to be closer to Nov/Dec that that trade was going to reopen...otherwise it looks like ABM for me.

Which has to have the best name in military history!

L

LadyLaw

Don't know specifically for Int O - I'm looking at MSO, Pers Suppt and Training. Guess Int O must be more heavily subscribed (you'd think the more Int peeps the better the way the world is these days!).

W

whomper

Yeah, to be honest I would have thought they would still have it open but it does seem really competitive.

I'm going through the presentation and interview in the next month or so for ABM though so there's still a chance Int O will open up again before I get to OASC so could possibly try for it there. Either way, the sooner the better really!

Good luck with your app, hopefully your trades will open up soon.

L

LadyLaw

Cheers whomper - good luck to you too :PDT_Xtremez_30:

ABM sounds pretty cool. Must admit I've thought about that and ATC but I seriously have no idea if I've got the necessary skills. I'm not brilliant on the playstation so maybe not :D MSO, Pers Supt and Training are what I know I'm likely to be good at given what I do now. Will have to chat to the AFCO me thinks...

Good luck to everyone with closed trades!

S

stevemartin1991

yeah good luck folks. the waiting game is horrible right now tho:(

A

alexe

The waiting game is alot better than future Interviews, Fitness Tests, Medicals and worrying if you are CP3 or CP4 and if you are up to standards for the job you want!

S

stevemartin1991

just thought id put out there the waiting game hasnt been to bad for me:) the afco phoned up a few days ago saying its open on competition. so got an interview on the 24th. all i can reccomend is phone up the afco every second week they appreciate that your still interested. good luck:)

Back