• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

HELP! Apllication queries :)

• Thread starter Thread starter tinaree
  • Start date Start date
T

tinaree

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum.

I really want to apply for the RAF as an personnel support officer. However, there are a two things that are concerning me and I my local RAF careers office is about an hour and half drive from where I live so I want to do as much research as I can before I go there and look silly(lol)

1. I have a small tattoo of 3 stars on my lower arm, it can definitely be covered up with a long sleeved shirt or even a small watch worn higher than normal. I was wondering would this effect my application?

2. about 7-8 months ago my doctor prescribed me anti depressants to try and stop some panic attacks I was having at the time, however, I was only on them for 2 weeks as they actually aggravated the panic attacks I was having and he had to sign me off work for 2 weeks, as they are unpredictable when they would start and I couldn't drive. He then prescribed me beta blockers as he thought it was stress related, and I took them occasionally and then stopped because I changed my contraceptive pill, and found out the panic attacks are caused by a hormone imbalance, and my mother had the same exact problem. I have not had a panic attack since. And its all sorted. Due to the notes that my doctor may have put on my record in relation to stress and maybe depression could this effect my application?

Please can someone help me.

Christina
xxx

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The tattoo should be fine...

As to the rest, the only people fully qualified to answer that will be the AFCO staff and the medics that they consult. You are either going to have to take the hit and drive the 1.5 hrs or get on the dog and bone.

They won't think you are silly and have heard it all before. If the career means that much to you then get going, you'll get the answer from the horses mouth and you can come back and tell us all...:PDT_Xtremez_19:

T

tinaree

Hello

Thanks for your reply. :)

I'm pretty sure after doing a bit more of research that the tattoo is fine like you said, because the Number 1 uniform will cover it.

I've got my initial interview :S in a few weeks so I'll ask about the medical side and let you all know here about what they say.

Christina
xx

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Give them a Call

Give them a Call

It might be worth calling your AFCO and mentioning the medical issue, it may save you a trip.

T

tinaree

Thanks Busby1971 for your advice.

I have called my local AFCO, and they confirmed the tattoo is definitely fine as it can be covered with a shirt. Also they informed me that there should be no problem on the medical side in connection with my panic attacks. Obviously they can't guarantee it as it depends on the medical.

I'm now concerned because I've been asked to come in for an initial interview, but the gentleman on the end of the phone informed me there was no need to come in wearing a suit. Should I dress smart just in case?

Christina
xxx

K

Krusty_Crab

Your medical condition is not an automatic disqualification, so the AFCO will process you as normal. Your medical records will not be looked at by the RAF Doctors until quite late in the process...you'll need to get through the application form and interview first. Pointless wasting the (expensive) Doctors' time if you don't even make it to OASC.
Once you're deemed suitable for OASC then they'll start looking in detail..I have no idea what criteria the Medics use to assess suitability but you need to be aware that ANY medical condition immediately makes you a higher risk than someone with a clean medical history. So when there are many more candidates than there are places available your chances are reduced. However if you do really well at OASC then high scores in leadership potential will help cancel out any negative score you may get from the Medics.

R

RuthES

I'm now concerned because I've been asked to come in for an initial interview, but the gentleman on the end of the phone informed me there was no need to come in wearing a suit. Should I dress smart just in case?

ALWAYS wear a suit when you visit, even if you pop in to AFCO on the off chance and just ask a question. You should always be as smart as you possibly can be. Make a good impression from the off.

Best of luck with it all.

P.S. Personnel Support Officer branch is shut until the new financial year (april 2010 ish) so don't rush to get everything done straight away as you'll only be disappointed when they wont progress your application any further due to lack of vacancies. (I know this I had a phone call this morning saying that they have put my application for OASC that I was attending this Sunday on hold as all vacancies are now full!)

K

Krusty_Crab

Personnel Support Officer branch is shut until the new financial year (april 2010 ish) so don't rush to get everything done straight away as you'll only be disappointed when they wont progress your application any further due to lack of vacancies.
April is the date for starting training, they'll need to start processing people months before that. 2010/11 quotas will be released soon so recruiting should re-commence in the next 3-6 weeks.

R

RuthES

April is the date for starting training, they'll need to start processing people months before that. 2010/11 quotas will be released soon so recruiting should re-commence in the next 3-6 weeks.
Oh right. Not as long a wait as the lady on the phone gave the impression it was! Thanks for that.

T

tinaree

Thanks alot to you both.

I understand there is quite a long waiting time, should give me plenty of time for training and getting a bit fitter.

I will definately be smart, don't want to give the wrong impression.

Christina
xxx

Back