• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Help please, entry requirements.

• Thread starter Thread starter SiRobo23
  • Start date Start date
S

SiRobo23

Hi people,

I am currently looking at applying as WSop but I was told my GSCEs do not meet the required level, So I plan to go back to school/college but I can apply as a mature and do A Levels which will open up Officer roles.

Only problem is my local colleges do not offer A Levels in Maths, Would/could i apply and use 1 A Level to meet the GSCE requirements.

Sorry I have had a search round but found nothing.

Cheers :PDT_Xtremez_30:

K

Krusty_Crab

Would/could i apply and use 1 A Level to meet the GSCE requirements.

I seriously doubt it. You need to show a broad range of ability and have achieved 5 GCSEs (Grade C+) for WSOp. Sitting 1 A Level at a time does not demonstrate your ability to multi-task or demonstrate a wide mental capacity.
For Officer you will still need 5 GCSEs and then 2 A Levels (taken concurrently).
In the current economic climate Officer competition is extremely high, you'll need to be well qualified AND demonstrate other leadership qualities (eg member of a volunteer organisation; committee member of a local activity or sports club; high level of physical fitness, demonstratable organisational skills or managerial responsibility in an employment role)

Last edited:
S

SiRobo23

Thank you the reply,

My local colleges do not run GSCE for older students, (I have emailed the direct.gov people as this seems unfair) what I cant get my head around is I have NVQ level 2 & 3 in business management but when I went into the AFCO I was told these qualifications mean nothing to the RAF.

I can do 2 A Levels 2 days a week for 32 weeks but I don't want to waste this time if at the end its worthless to the RAF.

Also A levels would be 2 days per week and if I can find them GSCE would be 5 days. Seems worng doing more days for a lower result.....

Help.

alepie

LAC
I found the info on the RAF Careers website in five seconds which really doesn't bode well for you as an officer if you can't do the same.

You need two A Levels so therefore you have to do two A Levels probably in one sitting. Most A level candidates do three or four so it's not much of an ask for a potential officer to get two.

K

Krusty_Crab

what I cant get my head around is I have NVQ level 2 & 3 in business management but when I went into the AFCO I was told these qualifications mean nothing to the RAF.

SiRobo23 said:
As a note your NVQ Level 3 is equivalent to 1 A level.

AFCOs are not consistent in their advice!! I would go back and get your AFCO to re-check the validity of your NVQ. However, the comment from your AFCO may have meant that your NVQs could not be used instead of your 5 GCSE requirement. The fact that you don't have the required GCSEs means that they won't consider your NVQs on their own....I'm only guessing from what you've posted...best to go back and get exact clarification of what is required.

Last edited:
Y

Yidmister

I agree with Krusty, AFCO's dont always sing from the same song sheet. I would go back to the AFCO with a list of all your education qualifications and they should then be able to tell you what you will need to make an application for an officer role.

Back