• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Help Required

Funcle

LAC
Being somewhat of a Techno biff I require some help and was wondering if any of the clever IT people could come up with a solution.

I have a non wireless configured laptop, I have purchased a Linksys USB adaptor installed it onto the laptop paired it with my home orange wireless router the USB connects ok but will not aquire a network address, I have spoken with both orange and Linksys but neither have been able to come up with a solution. The Livebox wep is entered correctly, was talked through this by orange tech guys, Linksys USB adaptor installed correctly again talked through this by tech guys when first came across the problem.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

T

Turtle

I have seen this before with my old laptop. It had been working fine with a Linksys pcmia card but after I had to reinstall the original software due to a virus I couldnt get connected. Lots of hair puling and web searching later I found that my problem was I was missing an update on my operating system. After downloading the latest service packs (Obviously connected by cable) the problem was resolved.

Hope this helps

J

JT 4 ever

I had an Orange Livebox once.. after weeks of messing around I went out and bought a proper wireless router and used that.
I sold the LIvebox on ebay and made a quid back... My ISP is still orange but no faffing around.
Moral of my story.. Livebox makes a good door stop or paperweight. Sorry chap!

steve_k243

Sergeant
Being somewhat of a Techno biff I require some help and was wondering if any of the clever IT people could come up with a solution.

I have a non wireless configured laptop, I have purchased a Linksys USB adaptor installed it onto the laptop paired it with my home orange wireless router the USB connects ok but will not aquire a network address, I have spoken with both orange and Linksys but neither have been able to come up with a solution. The Livebox wep is entered correctly, was talked through this by orange tech guys, Linksys USB adaptor installed correctly again talked through this by tech guys when first came across the problem.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Install whatever the CD instructs you to.
Try to connect in the normal manner, go to the router and press button 1 for a couple of seconds. You are now in "pairing mode" the lights will flash in a different manner. Once connected your USB wireless jobbywotsit will be on the list of accepted devices, so you won't have to pair again.

Last edited:

Funcle

LAC
Many thanks for the replies but have tried all of the things suggested apart from JT 4 EVER suggestion might have to bite the bullet and spend some money.

once again thanks for suggestions

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
There could be any number of reasons for this.

1. Check you have the most upto date drivers for your USB dongle.
2. Make sure you are using the Windows Wireless connection manager and NOT the one provided by Linksys. Third party wireless managers can sometimes be unreliable.
3. Switch off the encryption on your router and try connecting then. (this is just for testing, and shouldn't really be done routinely)

Let us know your results. Just to clarify, what flavour of Windows are you using.

T

The chosen one

Ask Ex-Bay, what he does not know about computers, IT and the like is not worth knowing.

The guy is a genius.

Entropy

Sergeant
Bit of a long shot. Does the laptop run Win2K? W2K doesn't support anything stronger than WEP encryption.

M

monobrow

Bit of a long shot. Does the laptop run Win2K? W2K doesn't support anything stronger than WEP encryption.

I have a Windows 98 laptop and a Windows 2000 desktop connected to a WPA encrypted network. They may not support WPA2, however that is down to the hardware and the tool used to connect to the network.

Back