• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

help with wireless networking

chewy2k3

LAC
im having difficulty getting my wireless speed to be steady my provider have told me that my broadcom wireless built into my hp dv7 isnt compatible as its only b/g/n and it is supposed to start with n. is he pulling my chain or will i have to try and upgrade the network card in the laptop to get a decent internet connection?

thanks

could this be moved i didnt look hard enough before posting this in the wrong place

Last edited:

Realist78

Master of my destiny
im having difficulty getting my wireless speed to be steady my provider have told me that my broadcom wireless built into my hp dv7 isnt compatible as its only b/g/n and it is supposed to start with n. is he pulling my chain or will i have to try and upgrade the network card in the laptop to get a decent internet connection?

thanks

could this be moved i didnt look hard enough before posting this in the wrong place

Given that 'n' is the latest standard, he might be bullsh1tting. Have a look here for explanations about the standards. The only fly in the ointment might be that the 'n' standard hasn't been finalised, whatever that means.

ScoobTech

Sergeant
Don't worry to much about the wireless speed unless it is getting near your internet speeds. Unless you are streaming media from one computer to another.

The biggest culprit to speed dropouts is interference. If your wireless card came with the software to do it, have a look to see if any other networks are on the same channel. If there is, swap to a less congested channel. Remembering channels 1, 6 andd 11 are the only non-overlapping ones.

If you have an android phone download wi-fi analyser, which also does scans the channels to help you find the best one.

chewy2k3

LAC
Thanks i have insider but everytime i change channel my speed suffers. I can be searching through junkbay and poof the hub goes and resets it self i am supposed to be on 60meg internet but rarely get over 40 wired. Wirelessly i can manage 20 to 30meg so is their hub not putting out what it should or should i hardwire every device?

TARDE85

LAC
Ok firstly, you have a wireless card in your laptop which works with 802.11b, 802.11g or 802.11n routers. So that is not the problem. If you are only getting 40Mbps wired from a 60 Mbps connection then that is your main problem. Getting 20 to 30Mbps wirelessly from that is actually pretty good, wireless connections will always be slower.

I have a 100Mbps connection at home, wired I get around about 90 to 95Mbps, wirelessly around about 30Mbps, although that is with up to 3 laptops, an xbox and 2 iPhones on the network.

I suspect that your ISPN will claim that the 60Mbps speed quoted is a maximum and that there are some physical issues limiting your speed, distance from hub etc, etc.

If all your devices are 802.11n then check to see what your router settings are, a mixed network will be slower than a solely n network.

Try downloading Vistumbler, this will show you what signal strength you are receiving, moving your router may help increase speed and prevent drop out. Also check again for interference from surrounding networks

chewy2k3

LAC
Will download that in the morning everything is in the se room as the hub so 15 ft apart the xbox seems to really struggle before i was on 30mg and only had lag but a constant connection now the connection is somewhat tempremental

TG4 SH1TE

LAC
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-023-TP
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-024-TP&groupid=46&catid=1596&subcat=

If you have a bit of money to spend then these two products will help solve all your problems, i had a 70Mbps connection and could get 70 wired and 26 wireless, changed the router and got 50 wireless then put the new wireless usb adapter in and got full speed, im with BT and found that the home hub 3 would crash when using skype and it would throttle back my connection speed through the day untill i reset my router, now dont have any issues.

Hope it helps....

ScoobTech

Sergeant
The problem with wireless N is it doesn't dictate a fixed speed. So a equipment that supports N can have a speed as low as 96Mbps (my wifes dell (broadcom chip)) or up to 900Mbps (Simultaneous Dual Band router and card). The BT homehub 3 N speed is 128Mbps at it's fastest. I haven't found anything on the Superhub max speed, but it is dual band. Works on the traditional 2.4Ghz band (very congested), and the 5Ghz wireless band (usually nobody on it).

If you have a device that is dual band, try and get it to connect in the 5Ghz band and see if the problem persists.

It might not be the hubs fault you mentioned the same problem on a D-link router, but the wireless chipset in the laptop. Both my wifes dells have had problems connecting to the latest Netgear router in our house both on Broadcom wireless chips. On was G, and the latest is N but only has a maximum speed of 96Mbps. As my router doesn't support 96Mbps this means it runs at 54Mbps.

Neither her phone/ my phone both HTCs, or my laptop running a Bigfoot Killer wireless card have any issues at the same time, As wifeys computer.

So I suspect a problem with the Broadcom chipset not playing fair.

Can you please post more info on the wireless card in the laptop, model number etc. It will give us a better picture of what is going on.

chewy2k3

LAC
some details of my laptop its a HP DV7900 series, 4gb of memory, win 7 sp1,
broadcom 4313 802.11bgn wireless adapter

ScoobTech

Sergeant
Having had a look round, and I was partly right, anything above 54Mbps is classed as N, that broadcom chip is a 1x1 running at 20Mhz channel width gives a maximum speed of 65 - 72 Mbps. Which is total data rate, including all the encapsulation (headers, encryption details, etc) so actual data speed (the file you are downloading) will be less than that.

You might also be having interference problems which are hitting you as well. I have just spent a hour sorting a problem the in laws were having, 7 Mbps connection getting 100 Kbps, turns out the next door neighbours new BT Home hub was running in N mode and killing off their Wi-FI connection. Luckily the home hub was on Channel 11, so moved the in laws down to channel 3, and all was well.

Just for info Wi-Fi analyzer doesn't show the difference between a normal B/G 1x1 stream, and a N 2x2 or 3x3 stream which should take up to 2 - 3 times the RF bandwidth. So you need to have a look at what is around your channel 3 up and 3 down. as they might be causing you problems also.

Hope that helps.

Have a look on the HP website for your laptop, and see if you can get hold of a better wireless card, preferebly on of the Intel centrino 6205/6230 Dual band cards, then you can put yourself on 5Ghz and be done with interference, and they are 2x2 cards which should give you up to 300Mbps .

If you have no luck there try the following which should see speeds improve
http://www.ebuyer.com/143169-netgear-wnda3100-dual-band-wireless-n-usb-adapter-wnda3100-100ges

http://www.ebuyer.com/363629-netgear-n300-wireless-usb-mini-adapter-wna3100m-100ens

http://www.ebuyer.com/264395-netgear-wireless-n150-usb-micro-adapter-wna1000m-100ens

Last edited:
T

The Masked Geek

One other issue to look at is your USB peripherals.

My wifi on a Dv6 dies whenever I plug in a certain USB3 cable.

Back