• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Highlited icons?

• Thread starter Thread starter mad_mo
  • Start date Start date
M

mad_mo

My 1 yr old has decided to play with my laptop ::/:

All the icons on my desktop are permanently highlighted blue?. Is there a way to un-highlight these.

shettie

Flight Sergeant
My 1 yr old has decided to play with my laptop ::/:

All the icons on my desktop are permanently highlighted blue?. Is there a way to un-highlight these.

Ha! :) - sorry shouldn't laugh... Your 1 YO hasn't just changed the background colour of the page have they? Right click on the desktop - properties - then "desktop" - bottom RH side theres a colour dropdown...

M

mad_mo

Here's a sample of my desktop. I obvioulsy have more icons than this!.

Notice the shown icons are permanently highlighted in blue?. Also Ive noticed the wallpaper is slightly out of focus!

page.jpg

shettie

Flight Sergeant
if you take the wallpaper off - are the icon backgrounds the same colour as the screen background - I've seen this a couple of times and if you change the background colour - it won't change... Have you tried a reboot (suck eggs granny! :) )

shettie

Flight Sergeant
try going into the desktop settings again - then "Appearance" then "Advanced" - try changing the desktop colour settings in there - if not - on the "Appearance" page - theres a setting for "Windows or Buttons" - you can select Windows classic - or windows XP styles - that may kick in the change to the colour

K

Kernow

I think (though not 100%) if you right click on desktop and go to properties, then select appearance on there should be a section marked item. Select icon from the drop down menu and then simply change the colour to none. Again I think but can't remember exactly.

Alternatively, try asking your 1 year old as he seems to be smarter than thou :PDT_Xtremez_14:

M

mad_mo

I think (though not 100%) if you right click on desktop and go to properties, then select appearance on there should be a section marked item. Select icon from the drop down menu and then simply change the colour to none. Again I think but can't remember exactly.

Alternatively, try asking your 1 year old as he seems to be smarter than thou :PDT_Xtremez_14:

He is a she!

I tryed the above. There is no " none " option in there.

P

pie sandwich

You could always save any work done to an external source and do a system restore, if you did'nt want to faff around with the desktop settings and wallpaper settings

C

Comms_Lad

Well you have shadows turned on, (sh1tty feature of xp to make things appear floaty) and possibly he has changed the screen resolution which has made your background look out of focus.

Either that or he has changed your background.

Cant remember how to sort the shadows out as sat in work on a piece of toss system. If no one has answered by the time I get home tonight will find out and post it for you (got a memory like a sieve).

p.s. Fair play to your nipper 1yr old and knows your computer better than you. Thats good skills no matter which way you look at it lol:PDT_Xtremez_14:

C

Comms_Lad

sorry double post

sorry double post

You could always save any work done to an external source and do a system restore, if you did'nt want to faff around with the desktop settings and wallpaper settings

Why on earth would someone want to do a system restore because background/graphics settings are a bit muddled.

nutter lol

K

Kernow

He is a she!

I tryed the above. There is no " none " option in there.

Now do I claim simple typo or that in the absence of a gender you always assume they are male.

Try selecting other colours to see if that causes the same problem.

P

pie sandwich

Why on earth would someone want to do a system restore because background/graphics settings are a bit muddled.

nutter lol

Ive done it a few times in the past before i knew what I was doing (kind of) just because after spending hours trying to figure out what i did wrong and gave up:PDT_Xtremez_30:

M

mad_mo

Ive done it a few times in the past before i knew what I was doing (kind of) just because after spending hours trying to figure out what i did wrong and gave up:PDT_Xtremez_30:

I got so pi$$ed off with it, I did a system restore and it's done the trick.

Thanks all for the advice.

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Shadows....

Shadows....

To change Windows visual effects
You can turn specific Windows visual effects on or off. For example, you can display shadows under menus to give a three-dimensional (3-D) effect, indicate folder types with watermarks, and increase the size of icons.
You can change some visual effects in Display Properties and others in System Properties in Control Panel.
Change visual effects in Display
  1. Open Display in Control Panel.
  2. On the Appearance tab, click Effects.
  3. In the Effects dialog box, select the check box for those items you want to turn on.
note.gif
Notes
  • To open Display, click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Themes, and then click Display.
  • For information about a specific item, right-click the item and then click What's This?.
Change visual effects in System
  1. Open System in Control Panel.
  2. On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
  3. On the Visual Effects tab, click Custom.
  4. Select the check box for those items you want to turn on. Clear the check box for the items you want to turn off.
note.gif
Note
  • To open System, click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.

P

pie sandwich

I got so pi$$ed off with it, I did a system restore and it's done the trick.

Thanks all for the advice.

Well it's not so much advice more a last ditch attempt at fixing it:PDT_Xtremez_30:

C

Comms_Lad

To change Windows visual effects
You can turn specific Windows visual effects on or off. For example, you can display shadows under menus to give a three-dimensional (3-D) effect, indicate folder types with watermarks, and increase the size of icons.
You can change some visual effects in Display Properties and others in System Properties in Control Panel.
Change visual effects in Display
  1. Open Display in Control Panel.
  2. On the Appearance tab, click Effects.
  3. In the Effects dialog box, select the check box for those items you want to turn on.
note.gif
Notes
  • To open Display, click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Themes, and then click Display.
  • For information about a specific item, right-click the item and then click What's This?.
Change visual effects in System
  1. Open System in Control Panel.
  2. On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
  3. On the Visual Effects tab, click Custom.
  4. Select the check box for those items you want to turn on. Clear the check box for the items you want to turn off.
note.gif
Note
  • To open System, click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.

See i told em it was easier than system restore lol. The only problem was not sat at an XP machine and couldnt remember all of that off by heart lol

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
See i told em it was easier than system restore lol. The only problem was not sat at an XP machine and couldnt remember all of that off by heart lol

Amazing what you can do with "Help and support" (search for "shadows") under the start menu and a bit of "cut and paste" :PDT_Xtremez_19:

Crack on..................:PDT_Xtremez_09:

Back