• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

HNC/HND aero engineering

what are/is the components of the hnc/hnd aero engineering?
I would be interested in doing something college wise before I leave RAF, but I am not having much joy searching the internet.
I remember in the BTEC NC I got from my fitters course having Maths and Eng science in Fulton Block, which I found difficult. Does that mean trying HNC/HND would be a step too far?
cheers.

Get Tae

Flight Sergeant
I have just completed the HNC Aero Eng from Perth College and found it flexible and worth the effort. PM me for more details.....

C

Captain Gatso

Have you considerd doing your aircraft licenses? I am currently studying for my B1 licence with Brooklands college. Look on the web, under WWW. part66now.com. I was a bit aprehensive of using an internet based course. However I am finding the course brilliant. It's easy to understand, and the tutors are always available to help. If you get stuck. I am hopless at maths, however the tutorial materials are written in such a way, that it's so easy to understand. I am remembering maths instead of learn and dump. Have a look, it's well worth it.:PDT_Xtremez_40:

So that stuff I sent you helped out Get Tae?

I was in my local TDF recently and found information about an HNC/HND from Yeovil College and Perth College was still advertising their HNC. Best speak to your education advisers as the Yeovil one used a lot of acredited prior learning. Perth's HNC is going to be available online from speteber time if I remember correctly.

I've done the HNC from Perth and it's fairly straightforward. You do it in your own time and its relatively cheap. Instructors were quick to respond to queries and you get your assignments back to you. Don't be put off by the project as they let you use that for the communications module so you kill two birds with one stone.

PM me if you have any queries on this.

Get Tae

Flight Sergeant
So that stuff I sent you helped out Get Tae?

Certainly did me old chestnut!!

A word of warning on the Yeovil thing, I went to a presentation on their HNC and there was a Lot more work involved, they didnt give you much at all for any RAF courses etc. I'm not saying don't do it but just don't expect an HNC for nowt cause it ain't gonna happen!

sumps

Sergeant
I would be interested in doing something college wise before I leave RAF, but I am not having much joy searching the internet.
I remember in the BTEC NC I got from my fitters course having Maths and Eng science in Fulton Block, which I found difficult. Does that mean trying HNC/HND would be a step too far?
cheers.

Have you looked at what you want to do for the rest of your life? My advice is don’t confine yourself to on aspect of engineering look at broad spectrums i.e. an HNC/D in mechanical engineering will give you the ability to move into other aspects of engineering as it will cover all of mechanical field or Mechatronics (if they still do it) pushes the heavy into electrics/electronics as well as mechanics and vice versa or even jump sides e.g. heavies try electronics or computing, it still engineering and still salient to your current form of employment

Eather way think hoistically and give your self scope to change - Good Luck!

Last edited:
W

wgaf

Have you looked at what you want to do for the rest of your life? My advice is don’t confine yourself to on aspect of engineering look at broad spectrums i.e. an HNC/D in mechanical engineering will give you the ability to move into other aspects of engineering as it will cover all of mechanical field or Mechatronics (if they still do it) pushes the heavy into electrics/electronics as well as mechanics and vice versa or even jump sides e.g. heavies try electronics or computing, it still engineering and still salient to your current form of employment

Eather way think hoistically and give your self scope to change - Good Luck!
Good advice sumps. Completed my BEng with the Ou the other year, trouble is I hate engineering. Whatever you decide to do make sure it's relevant for your future.

D

Disillusioned

This isn't a dig I'm just curious. What's the point of the HNC Aero Eng? Can it be used as APL towards licenses? Where would an employer in the aero industry rather you had the HNC than licenses unless you were going for the design world which would require more than a HNC I suspect.

Personally I chose the mechanical engineering HNC for the same reason as sumps sets out, plusI don't really want to work on planes when I get out.

Get Tae

Flight Sergeant
My answer to your question is why not? Its used for an AIP, covers some of the work needed for licences (you cannot used anything against licences even a degree holds nothing for excemption!) and gets paid for by the RAF. What more do you need?
Also later this year Perth will be doing a degree course that uses RAF aircraft experience to exempt the practical parts of the HND so you get a degree in a year. If you go for a job a degree in Engineering (which is what it will be regardless of whether it says mech or aero) goes a bit further than a crap ONC from Halton from 21 years ago!!

W

wgaf

My answer to your question is why not? Its used for an AIP, covers some of the work needed for licences (you cannot used anything against licences even a degree holds nothing for excemption!) and gets paid for by the RAF. What more do you need?
Also later this year Perth will be doing a degree course that uses RAF aircraft experience to exempt the practical parts of the HND so you get a degree in a year. If you go for a job a degree in Engineering (which is what it will be regardless of whether it says mech or aero) goes a bit further than a crap ONC from Halton from 21 years ago!!
As a point of interest GT what quals do Perth require for this? Not being funny but it doesn't seem much of a degree if you can just waltz in do a years study then pick up your BEng.

C

Chuffybum

As a point of interest GT what quals do Perth require for this? Not being funny but it doesn't seem much of a degree if you can just waltz in do a years study then pick up your BEng.

I think quite a few guys would be interested in the answer to that one. Well posed WGAF.

Get Tae

Flight Sergeant
Well for a start you have to have passed the 2 years distance learning HNC, you dont just waltz in and a year later get a degree. They will be inviting those who have passed the HNC to take up this course later this year so until then i dont know the exact requirements, go onto thier website and get the number and call someone.
I study there, I dont teach there or make up the courses.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
A HNC/HND is generally worth around 120 points of undergraduate study (i.e. your first year). So I am guessing a lot of the rest of the degree will be made up of Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL) and conventional study.

As GT said, you don't just get given the piece of paper! you still have to study!

Shinynuts, what do you want to do when you leave the mob? If you wish to continue spannering, then HNC/D in Aero Eng is fine. If you've had enough of having to wash your hands before having a pee and want to do something different, then, as has been astutely advised, think broader. Think engineering (electrical/electronic/telecomms/software if you're mechanical, and vicky-verky), think business studies, think management studies.

A good HNC plus a barrow-load of complementary practical experience should get you a graduate-level job. It did for me - sootie with day-release ONC Electrical & Electronic Eng, and then HNC Electronics, into a graduate design engineer job. Recently done post-graduate certificate in Engineering Management, and now doing MSc in Engineering Management.

Then think about professional registration. Wanting to stay with aviation? Join the Royal Aeronautical Society. Engineering outwith aviation? Join the Institution of Engineering and Technology. Choose a course that will help you get EngTech or even IEng registered - use the mature candidate routes if appropriate and then go for CEng. The institutions can and will help. Employers generally value professional registration as it shows continuing professional development and a recognised combination of experience and qualifications.

It's all hard work and a ball-ache to do, but worth it in the end. You'll be surprised what a combination of hands-on practical experience and further education quals is worth when compared to a spotty higher education graduate who you wouldn't trust to toast a slice of bread.

Don't be put off by all this, it is well worth the effort. If you want to see what's on my business card now, PM me and I'll tell you.

Thought about a commission? That's what I told my boss I wanted my HNC for, and told myself that was just one career option.

Off-the-wall for a bit now, but from what I see of them (and I deal with them regularly), you could do a lot worse career-wise than do your HNC then go for an engineering commission in the Navy. They treat their 'from the ranks' officers far better than I ever saw the RAF do. Was it 'Branch Officers'? They used to get all the cr@p engineering officer jobs in my day. Don't know what it's like now, but I do know that the Navy values that experience tremendously and not only gives those 'Special Duties' officers good jobs, but promotes them fairly quickly too. I know a lot who joined up as sailor techies, got commissioned 'from the lower deck', did their time and left as Lt Cdr or Cdr (Sqn Ldr or Wg Cdr level). With a Commander's pension and a good civvy strasse job in many cases. Off-the-wall, but think about it. Again, PM me if you have any specific questions.

Now's the time to do your research, ready to start in September. Let us know what you decide.

Thanks for the advice fellas.

I originally thought aero eng route because it would not be far out the comfort zone of what I have achieved (as I tried to convey earleir - I am a bit wary of how much more I can achieve academically!). However I am not closed of to the general side of things - I missed out on an engineering job in the leisure boating industry, I suspect because of a lack of electrical training (fcuking wiggly amps!)
My other leaning towards aero was driven by making the best of my career in the RAF at the moment - surely it is hard to argue with advancing thye career of someone who has built on the foundation of training already provided by the RAF? Also with the 2nd line maint being civilianised and well spread around the midlands areas that I will eventually resettle - boosts the CV a bit for that I reckon.
Harry - I have already taken EngTech registration, I agree well worth it. May look further into the commision option (not to off the wall for me to think about - I've got two kids to do justice to) - but I am unsure of the benefits of this in or out of the RAF, financially or lifestyle wise - is it worth the hassle? Any ex-ranker zobs out there with some input?

cheers again folks!

May look further into the commision option (not to off the wall for me to think about - I've got two kids to do justice to) - but I am unsure of the benefits of this in or out of the RAF, financially or lifestyle wise - is it worth the hassle? Any ex-ranker zobs out there with some input?

Mate - That's exactly why I didn't do it. End of 12 years, with options. One, stay in, get commissioned, and all the buggeration that goes with it - house, kids, lots of moving in the beginning etc. Two, leave and start second career. Chose 'two', and never looked back. Often wonder how 'one' would have worked out, though.

Look into it, then make your choice. At least you'll make an informed choice. Best of luck.

O

OM15

I actually found the courses in maths and science at cosford very good. I'm now doing a part time degree in civil engineering and to be honest its a piece of pish. Cosford prepared me well.

sumps

Sergeant
A degree for those of you in the south..."BEng Aircraft Engineering"

If you are looking for a fast track, degree and you have an HNC/D and a bit of rank behind you then you may want to consider a BEng at Kingston University - London...and its accredited by the Royal Aeronautical Society!
You study, over two years, the Honours section of the degree that is applied to the fulltime foundation degree - It done by intensive study during two one-week blocks (Nov & Apr) in which you study two modules then complete 1 or 2assignments per module (dependent on that year) and a project + end of year exams, per academic year - Total time away form work 12 working days per year.

Yr1 =
- Aerospace Technology -(heavy in maths content: Structures, Flight Dynamics, Propulsion Systems...etc)
- Maintenance and Logistics -(EASA / Pt66 Legislation, maintenance methods, Aircraft maintenance computers, NDT, Military maintenance practises...)
- Group Project - on the day of registration you are assembled into groups decide on a real need project then over the year develop it.

Yr2 =
-Business Studies - (Market forces, Budgets and financing, Business strategies - and loads more...)
-Quality - (Reliability, 6 sigma, TQM, Process control and the measuring of...)
-Individual Project - as for the group...but on your own.

Each module will require you to complete an assignment (possibly two) You take exams on two consecutive days in June for the modules studied that year.

Back