• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Home Network Setup.

• Thread starter Thread starter Wonky Tonka
  • Start date Start date
W

Wonky Tonka

Calling all IT wizz's!!

I'm trying to set up a wireless network for all the computers in the house (1 laptop & 1 desktop), but I'm having real problems getting the systems to "talk" to each other.

Each computer is independently connected to the wireless network and can access the internet with no problems.

Both systems run XP Sp2.

I ran the Network Setup Wizard, but nothing seems to be happening.

If I go through control panel into the workgroup, on the laptop, I can see the desktop, but cannot access it.
The desktop doesn't show the laptop.

I have administrator access on both systems.

The laptop is running ZoneAlarm firewall.

Any help would be much appreciated.

M

monobrow

Most common problem is the IP addresses.

Say your wireless router is 192.168.0.1 (most are around that anyhow), then set your desktop to be 192.168.0.2 and the laptop to 192.168.0.3

Then in your ZoneAlarm, enter a new trusted IP range from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.3 and it should do ok.

Ohh and encrypt the signal!

W

Wonky Tonka

Most common problem is the IP addresses.

Say your wireless router is 192.168.0.1 (most are around that anyhow), then set your desktop to be 192.168.0.2 and the laptop to 192.168.0.3

Then in your ZoneAlarm, enter a new trusted IP range from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.3 and it should do ok.

Ohh and encrypt the signal!

Cheers :PDT_Xtremez_28:

I'll let you know if that works.

Last edited:

shettie

Flight Sergeant
if it doesn't - make sure the PCs are named differently and that they are in the same workgroup - or they won't see each other initially...

right click on my computer - then "properties" - then "computer name" - go to "change" - check the names are different - then set the workgroup to "home" or something - reboot - then run the wizard again

W

Wonky Tonka

if it doesn't - make sure the PCs are named differently and that they are in the same workgroup - or they won't see each other initially...

right click on my computer - then "properties" - then "computer name" - go to "change" - check the names are different - then set the workgroup to "home" or something - reboot - then run the wizard again

That bit is okay. Really original names for the computers too.......and they are both members of the same workgroup.

shettie

Flight Sergeant
That bit is okay. Really original names for the computers too.......and they are both members of the same workgroup.

B*gger... Right - have you got File and Printer sharing set up on both? Right click "my network places" "Properties" then the wireless connection and "properties" again - make sure you also have a user on both PCs with the same name and password. share something on each PC with full permissions for "users" Try to add a network place - you should be able to browse to the share - or type it in in the format \\computer1\whateveryouvecalledtheshare and it should (hopefully) pop up. It's usually easy this bit... :(

Back