• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Honour Degree ... Without the GCSE "C" in Maths.

Terrorfex

LAC
Hello Ladies and Gents,

I could probably ask this question in a Careers Office (although there's not one locally to me), but truth be told I'm a little embarrassed I might be laughed out of the room.

When I originally sat my Standard Grades (Scottish equivalent to GCSEs I achieved a minimum of a 3 (or C) pass in all but Maths, which didn't go very well at all (5).

Long story short, I set myself a goal of making up for my lackluster efforts at school with the intent of trying to join the RAF as an (Air Engineering) Officer.

I worked my way through an HNC, HND, BEng and have recently graduated with a BEng (Hons) in Aircraft Engineering. The mathematics I'm dealing with are so far above the GCSE standard as to be inconsequential but ... Obviously, it's specifically pointed out in literature that candidates should hold a Degree AND a minimum of five passes in GCSE/Standard Grades at C or better - including English and, of course, Maths.

Would the mathematics I undertook at HNC and HND level (equivalent broadly to A-Levels and above) prior to the degree be considered in place of the GCSE standard Maths I don't have?

Ironically enough, I've worked for four long years to reach this standard but, it might all have been for the wrong reasons if the GCSE Maths requirement is literally required.

Thanks for your attention, gents.

Terrorfex

LAC
Thanks for the quick response. I wonder if sitting the GCSE separately would just look bizarre on my application (especially since, being Scottish, I have no GCSEs and you can't sit Standard Grades again to my knowledge.)

Tango

LAC
Mate, i'm a jock and they accepted my INT 2 in place of a 3 at standard grade, so I believe you'll be fine. Also this info is reliable as I only reapplied in July.

Last edited:

Terrorfex

LAC
Mate, i'm a jock and the accepted my INT 2 in place of of 3 at standard grade, so I believe you'll be fine.

Cheers. That would certainly save me another exam. Were you/Are you an officer? I understand the requirements can sometimes be more strict for them?

Much appreciated.

Tango

LAC
Don't forget, you're quals are much better than my INT 2. And nope I was not commissioned, I too monged it in school.

Terrorfex

LAC
Just for laughs, I downloaded last year's GCSE Maths paper. Let's just say that if I absolutely must sit this exam as a precondition for service, I think what I've learned in the last four years means it should be doable. ;)

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
You'll need to have your quals checked by Cranwell, the AFCO should sort that check out for you, in the recent past higher quals could only be used once ie if you were using a higher qualification in lieu of a lower one then you couldn't use it as the higher one as well, but things change as the days go by.

In this situation only the AFCO will be able to get you the answer you want.

There's and AFCO OC on here and I'm sure he'll be along to refute or back up my claims.

Tango

LAC
Didn't notice before, but you got the same as me in Standard Grade (5). That means I can say, beyond all reasonable doubt, that something would have to go VERY wrong for there to be any questions with your application. If you're still needing a bit of help you'll want to talk to True Blue Jack, the resident recruiter.

Tango

LAC
Busby, would it be acceptable if he were to use his HNC for one and HND for the other as the are both on different levels, or would they and the degree be grouped as college/Uni?

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
Busby is spot on with his comments. Things do change over time and recently we've been able to accept degrees in lieu of the 2 'A' Levels which are a standard requirement for direct commissioned entry, however, we still insist on GCSE Maths/Scottish equivalent although it is possible for this to be waived in certain circumstances. Were it up to me I would assess the maths content of your degree as more than adequate but that decision is made on a case-by-case basis at Cranwell (to ensure parity of treatment nationally).

Your biggest barrier at the moment is that we are not presently recruiting direct entry engineering officers and I am not sure when that will re-open. If you are dead set on being an engineering officer, then your best bet is to register with the careers information line (0845 605 5555) and they will invite you to make an application in due course. Be prepared to be patient though - it may be some time before you can apply. Alternatively, there are other commissioned roles available now or you may wish to think about joining as an airman and commissioning later. In any event it probably wouldn't hurt to get the GCSE tick now just in case its absence proves to be a problem in the future.

Terrorfex

LAC
I suppose it doesn't "have" to be Air Engineering Officer - it just seemed the most relevant with my degree in Aircraft Engineering!

As for the GCSE - I've talked to someone else on-line and they tell me it's as simple as registering as a private student, paying the fee and sitting the exam at the same time as schools; you don't need to attend the course, just sit the final examination. Considering the standard necessary to obtain a "C" pass (possible in the Foundation GCSE paper alone) it might just be easier to get this box ticked as a matter of course.

Once that's done, I'd be hopeful a BEng (Hons) would be enough to get a foot in the door!

Cheers for all the responses so far, guys.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Primarily, the guys on here are all technical and if there is one thing they will probably agree on, it is that if you want to get into aerospace engineering to any depth and spend most of your time doing it early on in your career, you are unlikely to experience it at Eng O level.

On the other hand, you may already be beyond your boredom threshold for starting as a mech.

Entropy

Sergeant
As for the GCSE - I've talked to someone else on-line and they tell me it's as simple as registering as a private student, paying the fee and sitting the exam at the same time as schools; you don't need to attend the course, just sit the final examination. Considering the standard necessary to obtain a "C" pass.

The 'private candidate' option is the route I took. Didn't have my maths O level/GSE. It bugged me for 25 years, in this time I gained a BSc (Hons) and a successful career. However when applying for a couple of jobs after graduating I did have a couple of applications refused due to lack of a basic maths qual.

As I said it bugged me for years, so at the end of 2009 I bought a couple of GCSE revision books, sat down every evening for 8 weeks and revised. I contacted Edexcel to find an establishment that took 'private candidate's and sat the exam in the November. Passed with a B grade so very happy with the outcome.

As said before speak to the AFCO as they will be able to tell you if your quals are sufficient. Personally, even if you do get accepted with your current qualifications, I would advise you to go for the basic exam as I found that having no maths to be a real itch on my psyche for a quarter of a century. Just do it, you will feel a lot better for getting it even if you never need it.

henry02

LAC
Well reading all the above... if you are set on being an Eng Officer, and you are going to be waiting a while... you havent got much to loose going for the maths GCSE.

If you have done plenty of maths on your degree course, you should be well away. Find where you can take the exam, make sure you can get hold of that exam boards past papers, and course syllabus. (Different exam boards teach slightly different things.)

See if that exam board do revision books, if not you can get some cheapo ones second hand off ebay/amazon (this is what I did for my AST).

Job's a goodun!