• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How do I . . ?

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
OK, I'll admit it; I'm a bit of a Biff with computers and particularly the 'net.
However, a pal and I both have Flight Sim (v9) and it works.

So I wanted for the pair of us to have a bit of a go at multi-player. I turned off my Webroot Anti-Virus thing (Gamer mode ON), and did "IPCONFIG" on the Command Window to discover my IP address. And here fell over.

Neither of us can connect to the other. I managed to get "Pingplotter" to locate one of his addresses and it seemed to work, but we simply cannot get our machines to talk.
:PDT_Xtremez_09:

As I understand it, my Netgear Router will get a new IP address presented to the 'net every so often, so the address I look up is not (?) the one my pal needs to get the FS to connect to [from his end] if I host the session.

The PC is a dual-core AMD thing with 2GB RAM, running XP.
I have NoScript running (on Firefox, I hope).
Netgear Router ADSL2, v5.01.16.
[ Thought: is the ADSL port IP address the one I need ? ]

Can someone please put me right with this beast ?

Last edited:
M

monobrow

It may be a port issue, however I would first confirm that the IP your tapping in is an internet IP and not a local network IP.

Essentially your network looks like

{External Traffic} <-> [Router] <-> {Internal Traffic} <-> [Computer]

Now to build that up with (made up) IP addresses...

{External Traffic} <-> (89.73.101.43 External IP) [Router] (192.168.0.1 Internal IP) <-> {Internal Traffic} <-> (192.168.0.2 Internal IP) [Computer]

So using this example, your Computer is sat on IP address 192.168.0.2 but when accessing the internet, passes through the router and is seen on the big wide world as 89.73.101.43.

A site like www.whatismyip.com will tell you straight off your external ip address.

Next comes the issue of Port Forwarding. According to what I searched... Flight Simulator 2004 requires you to forward the following ports: 2300-2400, 6073, 23456

The easiest way of getting instructions on how is to go to http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm Find your router in the list, DO NOT BUY ANYTHING, click skip ad if one is shown. Then find FS 2004 and hey presto it'll give you a how to...

Hope this helps

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Thanks, Mono.
I got the PCs IP address right, rather to my surprise).

I left the Port address as 23456 (the default).
I'll check out the port forwarding thing.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
It may be a port issue, however I would first confirm that the IP your tapping in is an internet IP and not a local network IP.

Next comes the issue of Port Forwarding. According to what I searched... Flight Simulator 2004 requires you to forward the following ports: 2300-2400, 6073, 23456

The easiest way of getting instructions on how is to go to http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm Find your router in the list, DO NOT BUY ANYTHING, click skip ad if one is shown. Then find FS 2004 and hey presto it'll give you a how to...

Hope this helps

It looks horribly complicated. I'm not sure I want a fixed (static) IP address ('why' is lost in the mists of antiquity).
But I'll give it a good coat of looking at.
Thanks

Hello mate, try downloading a piece of software called Hamachi. It is a little app that creates and generates an ip address that you can use in game to join other players. I use it for things like F4 Allied force and Free falcon. Its easy to use and download

Hope this helps

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Hello mate, try downloading a piece of software called Hamachi. It is a little app that creates and generates an ip address that you can use in game to join other players. I use it for things like F4 Allied force and Free falcon. Its easy to use and download

Hope this helps

Oh I think it will thanks.
A great help.
Ta Muchly

Back