• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How hard is it going to be to get in as an officer these days?

wench02

SAC
Not that I am - I am going for airman. I know a few people that are wanting to apply as officers, but realistically, how good do you have to be to get in as an officer?

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Not that I am - I am going for airman. I know a few people that are wanting to apply as officers, but realistically, how good do you have to be to get in as an officer?

If you aren't applying for a commission then why ask?

I take it your 'friends' who are, are giving you a few digs about it so your looking for an angle to come back at them with? If so, then they'll not last long with such an attitude.......

A

amfortas

It depends on how old you are.

Personally I always held the view that no-one under 23 should even be considered as an officer. Until then they still have cradle-marks on their backsides.

As for the 'half as good' issue. Lets be serious. Most airmen when they join up are so thick they need to be taught how to wipe their backsides. Our feminist education system does no good for young men and their only hope is to join the Services ( I don't give a toss which ) at age 12. It was a good enough age for Admiral Lord Nelson and Alexander the Great.

Realist78

Master of my destiny

Personally I always held the view that no-one under 23 should even be considered as an officer. Until then they still have cradle-marks on their backsides.

As for the 'half as good' issue. Lets be serious. Most airmen when they join up are so thick they need to be taught how to wipe their backsides. Our feminist education system does no good for young men and their only hope is to join the Services ( I don't give a toss which ) at age 12. It was a good enough age for Admiral Lord Nelson and Alexander the Great.

That may have been the case donkeys years ago but certainly (in the majority), not nowadays.:pDT_Xtremez_19:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

This must be the period in the day where you are where you pass the crack pipe?

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber

As for the 'half as good' issue. Lets be serious.
Most airmen when they join up are so thick they need to be taught how to wipe their backsides.
Our feminist education system does no good for young men and their only hope is to join the Services
( I don't give a toss which ) at age 12.
It was a good enough age for Admiral Lord Nelson and Alexander the Great.

That may have been the case donkeys years ago but certainly (in the majority), not nowadays.:pDT_Xtremez_19:

To judge be the standards of what I see in even the keenest Spacey, Tony Bliar's "Education, Education, Education "
mantra is sounding very, very hollow. Ye gods, they aren't even being taught simple Geography (one of my lot said they "were learning about Wind Turbines" (WTF ?) and they hadn't a clue about where New York was or how far away it was ("500 miles?" was one reply). And as for basic Arithmetic, forget it !

So I'm sorry, Realist, but it IS all too true today.

But the answer to the question is "very hard". One of our ex-Spaceys was frighteningly bright and joined up. She's been told that the chances of her having a job at the end of her training are slim, regardless of her talent.

Last edited:

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
I ask merely because I am interested. No-One is "having a go" at me

IOT courses are running at around 20-30 cadets at the moment, where a couple of years ago they were shoe-horning 150 in per course. Assuming the number of applications hasn't varied a great deal, the answer to your question is that it is 5 to 6 times more difficult to get in as an officer these days. I imagine the same or similar answer applies to joining as an airman.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
IOT courses are running at around 20-30 cadets at the moment, where a couple of years ago they were shoe-horning 150 in per course. Assuming the number of applications hasn't varied a great deal, the answer to your question is that it is 5 to 6 times more difficult to get in as an officer these days. I imagine the same or similar answer applies to joining as an airman.

.......unless the raw material is simply more stoooopid. It is for entry to universities and subsequently in industry.

Discuss.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
To judge be the standards of what I see in even the keenest Spacey, Tony Bliar's "Education, Education, Education "
mantra is sounding very, very hollow. Ye gods, they aren't even being taught simple Geography (one of my lot said they "were learning about Wind Turbines" (WTF ?) and they hadn't a clue about where New York was or how far away it was ("500 miles?" was one reply). And as for basic Arithmetic, forget it !

So I'm sorry, Realist, but it IS all too true today.

But the answer to the question is "very hard". One of our ex-Spaceys was frighteningly bright and joined up. She's been told that the chances of her having a job at the end of her training are slim, regardless of her talent.

Not from my experience of AMMs in the past 5 years or so. Yes, there will always be the thickies (who somehow have slipped through the net) but a lot of the young ones are switched on cookies IMO. The failure of Bliars Education X3 mantra is that they wanted 50% of the young population to go to university when it's obvious to all that 50% are not mentally equipped to do so. Also, who would sweep the streets and clean the sh1t up? Not graduates that's for sure. The country needs a core of the less intelligent, it's just a pity that shedloads of them are at home on benefits watching JK on their 50 inch public supplied TVs but that's another debate!

iainrm

Corporal
I do not think pure intellect was ever the prime requirement. I had a cpl who when he eventually got his 5 "o" levels then got his commission at the second attempt, he came out as groupie.
One of his better quotes was " I don't like the new number 2 it makes us all look the same" (er uniform).