• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How to? Two monitors.

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I have access to a spare monitor and I want to use it on my desktop. How the (I would have swore in a geeky way here if it hadn't been banned) do I do it?

I have a graphics card fitted and the motherboard has a built in graphics chipset. I have tried any setting BIOS/Windows (Vista) I can find. Can it be done?

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I have access to a spare monitor and I want to use it on my desktop. How the (I would have swore in a geeky way here if it hadn't been banned) do I do it?

I have a graphics card fitted and the motherboard has a built in graphics chipset. I have tried any setting BIOS/Windows (Vista) I can find. Can it be done?

Hmm the short answer is...maybe. The easiest way is to buy a graphics card with 2 outputs and to set the display properties to enable the second monitor...some detect the second monitor is plugged in an enable the adaptor by default.

Your problem is that the motherboard may disable the graphics slot when the built in adaptor is enabled. Also, you have to hope that the drivers play nicely together..

Check the m/b manual to ensure its not prohibited. If you are feeling adventurous and give it a whirl, enable the built in adaptor in the bios with the graphics card removed....install drivers. Switch off and install the graphics card and see what happens! Much playing with the drivers will be next in display properties.

Or...save yourself the hassle, spend £50 and get a dual output card.

OldMedic

Corporal
Fitting a graphics card usually disables the on-board graphics chip.

Does your graphics card have two outputs, VGA and DVI or even two DVI?

If so, with the right software that should let you use two monitors.

Whoops! You already have that answer!

Last edited:

ForgottenName

Trekkie Nerd

I take it that you have tried Control Panel>Personalizations>Display Settings then drag the Monitor 2 icon onto the Montor 1 icon and 'enable'.

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
No I'm on a pikey no cost trip and it's interesting trying to get it working. So it'll be the start basic and add bits solution first, hoping that the graphics output on the MB won't be disabled.

Last edited:
P

pie sandwich

I run duel monitors at home, and it is very easy to do.
I have duel DVI outputs on the graphics cards, so I plug each monitor in, and then run the graphics control panel and select duel monitors and it allows me to select which is No 1 and 2 so that only one has the task bar.
But also as you run the mouse from left to right that it goes across both screens left to right.

You may also have to have a play around in the control panel screen resolution section.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
I run duel monitors at home, and it is very easy to do.
I have duel DVI outputs on the graphics cards, so I plug each monitor in, and then run the graphics control panel and select duel monitors and it allows me to select which is No 1 and 2 so that only one has the task bar.
But also as you run the mouse from left to right that it goes across both screens left to right.

You may also have to have a play around in the control panel screen resolution section.

Start/ control Panel / display / Settings.
Line up the two monitors to equal size and set "1" to the right.
Set the desired resolution.
Apply
OK

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Start/ control Panel / display / Settings.
Line up the two monitors to equal size and set "1" to the right.
Set the desired resolution.
Apply
OK
That depends on which socket on the Video Card you have plugged the monitors to!

Back